What contraceptive methods are available to and safe for breastfeeding mums?

5 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

It is best to use Non-hormonal methods of contraception during breastfeeding: http://center-obgyn.com/your-guide-to-a-healthy-pregnancy/contraception-during-breastfeeding.asp 1. Condoms – The vagina of the nursing mother might be dryer than normal, which can make condoms irritating. If this is a problem, use additional lubrication. 2. Barrier methods – such as the diaphragm and cervical cap with spermicides, have no effect on breastfeeding. Check with your clinician to refit the device because you might need a larger device after having a child. 3. The intrauterine device (IUD) – IUD is very effective at preventing pregnancy. Two types of IUDs are available, a copper-containing device and a progesterone-containing device. Neither IUD affects the quality and quantity of breast milk. The progesterone IUD releases a very small amount of hormone into the uterus, where it works locally. Women who breastfeed can have the IUD inserted after the uterus returns to its normal shape and size. 4. Tubal sterilization – Tubal sterilization (“having your tubes tied”) affects breastfeeding only if general anesthesia is required (if you have to be put to sleep during the operation). Anesthetic medicine can pass through the breast milk. This breast milk should be discarded for 24 hours after your surgery. You can keep the milk coming by squeezing it out by hand or by using a breast pump. Regional anesthesia, which makes your belly numb although you are awake, is often better for a number or reasons.

Read more
VIP Member

Condoms, both female and male and intra uterine devices are safe for breastfeeding mothers. I would go with condoms as they are easily available and for its ease of use. When used correctly, they are very safe. You can also chart your ovulation and avoid the fertile days though this is risky. http://www.parents.com/parenting/relationships/postpartum-birth-control/birth-control-while-breastfeeding/

Read more

the safest option for a breastfeeding mom i feel is a condom, as it really has no side effect at all. while using an intra uterine device (IUD) is also another safe option, some women do catch infection. so i would still say try and avoid it when you are breastfeeding.

thanks

ganun po ba ?