What are the signs of a miscarriage or an ectopic pregnancy? When should I be worried, and when should I go to the emergency room?

7 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

An ectopic pregnancy is when the fertilized egg attaches to an area outside of the uterus. A woman may first experience common signs of early pregnancy such as missed menstrual period, tender breast, fatigue, and nausea. Early signs of ectopic pregnancy include: - Vaginal bleeding (may be light) - Abdominal (belly) pain or pelvic pain (usually experienced 6 to 8 weeks after a missed period) As an ectopic pregnancy progresses, though, other symptoms may develop, such as: - Belly/pelvic pain that may get worse with movement or straining (may occur sharply on one side initially and could spread throughout the pelvic region) - Heavy or severe vaginal bleeding - Dizziness, lightheadedness, or fainting caused by internal bleeding - Shoulder pain (caused by bleeding into the abdomen under the diaphragm. The bleeding irritates the diaphragm and is experienced as shoulder pain) One should seek immediate medical attention if there are any signs or symptoms of ectopic pregnancy (in particular, if one passed out, have severe vaginal bleeding or experienced sudden or severe pain in belly/pelvis). Ectopic pregnancy may damage the fallopian tube. Be aware of the signs so that it could be detected early. Do refer to this website for more information on ectopic pregnancy: http://www.webmd.com/baby/guide/pregnancy-ectopic-pregnancy

Read more

I personally experience etopic pregnancy. In the 5th week, my gynae couldn't locate the foetus during the scan. In my 6th week, I had extremely sharp pain in my lowerright abdomen. I thought it was cramps and tried to sleep it off but the pain only grew stronger and stronger. By the time I was operated on, the surgeon said I was lucky because if I had come in any later, I would have bled to death. The egg had ruptured in my fallopian tube, and I was bleeding internally and lost 2.5l of blood.

Read more
VIP Member

Signs of a miscarriage include passing out blood clots or bleeding. It may or may not involve abdominal cramps, so if you feel that something is wrong, do alert your doctor. http://sg.theasianparent.com/miscarriage-in-a-pregnancy-the-facts-symptoms-alternate-methods/

Read more

Ectopic -> sharp one sided pain Miscarriage -> bleeding, cramping, spotting (usually red discharge). Some people might spot (brown) but carry full term.

If you thank anyof that is happening ho to the ER right away dont wait and see what happens better safe than sorry

thanks