What are some fruits to avoid during pregnancy first trimester?

235 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

I’ve tried searching with google and found some fruits that are not good during pregnancy. 1. Pineapple Pineapple ranks high on the list of fruits to avoid in the first trimester of pregnancy. This is because eating pineapple can lead to sharp uterine contractions, which in turn can result in a miscarriage. Pineapple contains bromelain, an enzyme which breaks down protein. It can soften the cervix and could result in early labour. This is why you must avoid consuming pineapple during the course of your pregnancy. 2. Tamarind It is only natural to crave for something tangy during pregnancy, and you might think of tamarind instantly, but eating tamarind during pregnancy does more harm than good. Tamarind has long been used as an antidote to morning sickness and nausea. However, moderation is the key with regards to eating tamarind. Tamarind is extremely rich in Vitamin C, and that’s one of the main reasons for it to feature on the list of fruits to avoid during pregnancy. As tamarind contains high amounts of Vitamin C, if consumed in excess, it can suppress the production of progesterone in your body. And low levels of progesterone can lead to a miscarriage, pre-term birth, and even lead to cell damage in the foetus. So make sure that you do not consume too much tamarind, especially during the first trimester. 3. Papayas While papayas are rich in macronutrients and vitamins which are essential for your body, nevertheless, they are one of the fruits that are not advisable for pregnant women. Papaya can cause your body temperature to shoot up, which is not good during pregnancy. Apart from this, the fruit is rich in latex which can lead to uterine contractions, bleeding, and even miscarriage. It may also impair the development of the foetus, so it’s best avoided. Avoid eating both ripe as well as unripe papayas. 4. Bananas You might be surprised to see this humble fruit on this list of fruits to avoid during pregnancy. Although eating bananas during pregnancy is considered safe, they should be avoided in certain cases. Women who suffer from allergies and women who have diabetes or gestational diabetes are advised against eating bananas. Bananas contain chitinase, a latex-like substance that is a known allergen. It also increases body heat. So women who are allergic to chitinase should not consume bananas. Bananas also have a good amount of sugar in them, so diabetic people should avoid eating bananas at all cost. 5. Watermelon Watermelon is generally good for the human body as it enables the body to flush out all the toxins from the body while regulating hydration. But eating watermelon during pregnancy may expose the baby to the various toxins that the watermelon flushes out. This fruit is usually good for the health of a pregnant woman, but it can have certain undesirable effects. If consumed in excess, the sugar content in it may raise your blood glucose levels. Sometimes, the diuretic properties of watermelons can even flush out the essential nutrients along with toxins from your body. Besides, it is a cold inducing food which is why it is suggested to avoid it while pregnant. 6. Dates Dates are rich in vitamins and essential nutrients, but pregnant women are often advised to avoid consuming dates. One of the main reasons for dates to make it to the list of forbidden fruits during pregnancy is that they cause the body to heat up and may even lead to uterine contractions. So while eating a single date or two per day should be okay, anything more can lead to complications. 7. Frozen Berries Pregnant ladies should avoid frozen berries or anything that has been freeze-dried or frozen over extended periods of time. It is always a good idea to consume fresh fruits rather than opting for frozen berries. The original flavour and nutrients in berries are lost if you freeze it, and eating the same can be toxic to both you and your baby. This is why you may want to opt for fresh berries rather than the frozen or canned variety. 8. Canned Tomatoes When you are expecting, it is always a good idea to avoid all canned food items as they contain high amounts of preservatives. These preservatives can be toxic to both you and your baby and may lead to complications – so avoid eating canned tomatoes and other canned items.

Read more
4y ago

Ahm natanong ko na to dati sa OB ko then sabi hindi naman bawal sa lahat ng buntis sa may mga cases lang like mataas sugar so dapat less lang ang kainin mo na pakwan nung buntis ako kumakain ako ng pinya hindi naman nawala baby ko😊 moderate lang 1 slice lang na medyo manipis kainin enough na siguro yun mahirap din kasi labanan ang cravings nakakastress din kasi yun. Lahat naman pwede basta in moderate lang lalo na sa may mga cases.

According to traditional Chinese medicine (TCM), mommies are advised to avoid foods that are too cold in nature. TCM believes that cold foods will have direct impact on our body making it more yin or 凉. It's known that eating too much food that are 凉 can result in miscarriage. These foods include - green bean soup - water melon - coconut juice - pineapple - Liang Teh 凉茶

Read more

For fruits, I will avoid pineapple and watermelon as these will cause miscarriage if consume in large amount. Also, I avoid citrus fruits such as orange to prevent heartbun. If you are taking fruits, remember to wash the fruits thoroughly to remove the chemical residuals on the fruits. Normally I will soak fruits in baking soda for 10minutes and wash again before I consume them.

Read more

Anti depressant po nkikita ng doktor sa saging Kaya naniniwala ako dhil buntis ako moodswings minsan depress utak ko dmi mo iniisip hanggang magnerbyos un ung anxiety kinakabhan palpitations lahat ng di mggnda pero once kumain ako saging maya mya pra akong nagrelax bigla ung utak ko iba ung ngging takbo

Read more

Meron naman dito sa app, sa foods na site, may mga guidelines dun and details for when lang dapat ang food. Like fruits, lessen or no to pineapple during pregnancy. Andun na details kung bakit. Check mo nalang and nasayo na kung follow mo.

tanong ko lang po 11 weeks and 5 days na po akong pregnant nararamdaman ko na may pumipintig sa tiyan ko ano po ba yun ni baby

3y ago

Parehas tayo mamsh. Feeling ko nga heartbeat natin iyon but not sure.

there is no scientific evidence that pineapple is dangerous during pregnancy. It is just a myth, it is actually safe and a healthy choice. 😊

3y ago

I really loved eating pineapple during my first trimester and luckily nothing happens to my baby. 😊 30weeks pregnant now. But yes, some doctors advised to drink pineapple juice or eat the fruit when your pregnancy is already at term to soften and dilate the cervix. I just hope it works.

Nothing. Why some people are trying so hard to avoid the nutrients in fruits. Pineapple is safe and healthy during pregnancy. That is just a myth 🤦🏻‍♀️

My gynae only told me to avoid pineapple in large quantities as it may contract the womb making it undesirable for baby's growth. Pineapple consumed in pizza is fine.

VIP Member

I'm think wala nman dapat iavoid kase all fruits are good nman sa health naten specially sa ating mga preggy siguro moderation nalang para balance😊