food

Hi, just to check what are the food to avoid during prenancy? Eg vegetables, fruits, meats, beverages and etc?

12 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply
VIP Member

Raw or undercooked food due to listeria infection- e.g. steak that is anything but well done, sunny side up egg/soft boiled egg with runny egg yolk, salads with uncooked vegs Caffeine - too much caffeine increases possibility of miscarriage. General guideline is keep it under 200mg of caffeine a day, which translates to about 1-2 cups of coffee a day. There is caffeine in coffee, tea and chocolates(cacao). So don't take 2 cups of coffee, bubble tea and chocolates all in one day.. It adds up! Alcohol - no alcohol at all. Not even the "medicinal" type like DOM etc. Alcohol has been proven to cause birth defects and no safe level of alcohol consumption has been established.

Read more

Asked my gynae, she said avoid raw food and ensure all food are fully cooked. Means no half boiled eggs or steak that are not well done 😭 avoid caffeine too!! I don't subscribe to TCM; my gynae too. So stuff like cold water, watermelon, whatever I still consume! And pregnancy is the time to eat healthy! Some mummies think that when they are pregnant, they can eat whatever they want. But whatever you eat will affect the baby, so please avoid processed food, fried food, unhealthy food. Eat more wholegrains, fruits, vege and healthier food. Jia you!

Read more
5y ago

noted and thank you 😘

VIP Member

Hey Angeline, actually this app has a built in feature which you can use to search for foods you plan to eat to see whether it’s safe or not. Though it doesn’t tell you all the foods (yet), it’s very helpful. For now, I’d say stay away from hotpot and bak kut teh. Seemingly harmless but may contain some ingredients that other mummies have shared above.

Read more

Recommendation from my gynae: FOOD TO AVOID DURING PREGNANCY Chinese medications - Cordyceps, Ginseng, Dangui, other herbs with known heavy metal Alcohol, Smoking Raw seafood - risk of hepatitis A Partially cooked poultry eg. chicken  - risk of Listeriosis in pregnancy  :)

Read more

I just avoided raw seafood and fishes that contains a high mercury content such as tuna and mackerel. I ate the rest in moderation and make sure I drank plenty of water so that the volume of my amniotic fluid is sufficient.

VIP Member

Raw food or undercooked food. As advised by my TCM physician, also avoid bitter gourd and cooling fruits like pineapple and watermelon.

VIP Member
VIP Member

avoid danggui and uncooked food. avoid processed food as much as u can. otherwise just eat in moderation.

VIP Member

Processed food and raw food mostly