How do you foster a love for reading in your child?

Any tips to share?

6 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

Got get yourself a passion card, maybe your spouses and grandparents too. You can borrow something like 10 to 20 books depend if got school holiday. Then binge borrow books from public libraries. You can borrow from ANY libraries and return all to the same library. Stock up your home with books and read to the kids every night. Maybe 3 to 5 books per night. Initially borrow diverse kids genre, say dinosaurs, unicorns, adventures, etc. You will notice your kids start to love specific type of books. You can then narrow in to those type. Pick books with just 10 to 20 words per page. Do this consistently everyday, and you kids not only will pick up more vocab, they will start to read faster too. Usually you will notice it when they start reading public signs. Sometime a kid will love a specific book. You can then go buy it from Amazon or Bookdepository. Or you can reborrow again. The idea here is get yourself tons of books, and read to the kids frequently. This has been proven to work. My kids can read pretty long sentences and paragraphs by 3rd years old birthday.

Read more
5y ago

Thanks Ingwei. This is very helpful!

VIP Member

You can start with simple books, just with pictures and one word, letting your child flip through them and look at the images and colours - it'll be good to start with board books if you're worried about book destruction! As you progress further, you can move into story books and read with your child - there are several ways to read with them so do them all! Holding the book and reading to them is one, but having them on your lap and reading together is another - when doing the latter, focus more on what interests your child than to stay fixated on the storyline. It also helps to lead by example, we live in the hustle and bustle of busy city life, so it does help us too when we just spend some time reading than just scrolling aimlessly on social media. Frequent trips to the library might help too, in fact, I don't buy my son any books and we just go to the library - I go with my son when I just want to let him have the experience there, but I go alone when I actually want to borrow some books for him.

Read more
5y ago

Hope it helps! There are many kid-friendly libraries like Bukit Panjang and Vivocity, but I feel it's best to bring them from when they're around 6-7 months or so! Too young also cannot do much :x

Start reading to them when they're really young, as young as 3-6 months. Always gives books over electronic gadgets. And read books yourself! Kids copy their parents.

we start reading books to him when he was just a few months old. and reading books is part of our nap and bedtime routine. he loves books now.

Read to them before bedtime. Read it aloud and even role-play with them!

By reading it out and in-acting at the same time :)