Time out or time in Mums?

7 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

From a very personal perspective I can tell you how time out has shaped my childhood. My dad was a very stern father in the past, and whenever I didn't do well in my exams or tests or misbehaved, I was made to stand at the main door of my house away from everyone else. I can still vividly remember how hard I cried everytime to ask him to let me in. At those moments, I felt deserted, insecure and terribly upset. Following which I was always very stressed up and careful in the things I did. It turned out that I became fearful and distant, and over the long run I didn't like staying home, neither did I have the tendency to share intimate stuff with any of my parents. In fact I shared nothing. I don't want to have such relationships with my child. So I will choose time in. The fact that I can recall it so clearly can tell you how deep an impression it had for me every single time I stood at that door.

Read more
VIP Member

According to this article, time in is better than time out. http://sg.theasianparent.com/this-is-why-time-in-is-better-than-time-out/ I, too, believe in staying calm and getting the child to realise why his behaviour is not correct. Even young children are able to understand if you explain to them. Also get your child to tell you why he acted that way. Sometimes, they just don't know how to express their frustration.

Read more

Time-in in order to prevent further destroy of relationship between you and child. Sometimes during the melt-down of child and anger in parents will make things worse. Time-in able to help both parties to cool down and rethink what is going on and how to solve the situation.

I believe that having a balance of time in and time out might work. Totally having time in does not work all the time especially when handling with challenging child.

I would say I go for a combination of both depending on the situation.

thanks