Sometimes my husband and I are having difficulties in finding ways to bond and just talk about life. He would usually download movies/series for us to watch, but suddenly our baby would wake up and want to breastfeed or have his diaper changed. So sometimes we would just look at each other and end up doing our own thing. What are some ways you do to make your husband feel like he is still your priority? What unique activities do you do to keep your relationship interesting?

6 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

I guess husbands understand this and yes, there can be ways to make up time for each other, but I don't think there would be any need to make him feel that he still is your priority. All parents go through this phase, and trust, if you share doing thing for the kid, the bond only grows. And then, if the you both are having good time in each other's company, and the kid poops, you both end up looking at each other; sighing, laughing, nodding sideways or saying, 'again'. Rest, I guess when the baby is asleep you both can have a candle light dinner, or make something together in the kitchen. Give each other a head massage. Put your husband's favourite movie and before he is home, do the setting of the home, and give him a surprise. You can also make his favourite dish. While going to change the diaper or attending to the baby you give a peck on his cheek, little gestures do big tricks to keep the bonding between husband and wife intact. http://powertochange.com/sex-love/new-baby-distant-husband/

Read more

I feel you. It's really difficult to juggle your responsibilities as a mother and as a wife, and at this point the baby needs more attention. I sometimes feel guilty too when my husband and I don't have enough quality time together, but I try to make it up to him every now and then through simple gestures like watching him play basketball with his team, dinner at the newest restaurant in town (my treat hehe), having coffee in between our office breaks and I let him know that I appreciate all the things he do and all the sacrifices he make for me and our baby. :)

Read more

For me, it's those series and movies that we both love that keep our relationship interesting and give us a break from the mundane aspects of life. We go on dates once a week and spend alot of time together otherwise but watching those series together allow us to discuss theories, spoilers and other stuff that is not related to our "real lives". I find it very refreshing when we have debates about these trivial things. It's always entertaining, heated and simply lots of fun.

Read more

Cliche as it may sound, but a HTHT (heart-to-heart-talk) before bedtime works well for us. When the lights are out, we often have a chat before going to sleep. Sometimes it is mundane stuff like what happened in the day, other times it could be sharing some ranting or challenges. These HTHTs help us stay connected. As for activities, we both love working out so we will exercise together whenever possible. :)

Read more

I always say communication is the best way to keep any relationship alive. Convey to your husband that you miss his touch, his concern, the fun. Life after baby changes. Both the parents need to be there for each other. Enjoy baby's activities together. When the baby is asleep cuddle with each other even if it is for 15 minutes. Talk a lot.

Read more

What we do is really have a date night on a weekly basis. We leave the baby and the kids with my mom and dad and off we go. You have to be deliberate about it. At the same time, we try to accept and enjoy the interruptions this season brings.