feeling judged as working mom...

Sometimes, being a working mother is a choice we make consciously. For me, pursuing a career as a working woman was a dream I chased, but when I had children, I started to feel the pressure from the judgmental eyes around me. Every day, as I strive to juggle work tasks and care for my children, I feel like I'm being scrutinized. My in-laws often inquire about my children with a tone of pity, as if they doubt my abilities as a working mother. Even my own parents sometimes make comments that make me feel inadequate. When we visit their house, there are often remarks implying that I don't give enough attention to my children, or that I should spend more time at home. They even compare me to my sister-in-law, who is a stay-at-home mom, without understanding the reality behind closed doors. They don't even know, my sister-in-law whom they proudly boast about, what her real behavior is like out there. She often gossips and talks negatively about others, she's extravagant, and it's not uncommon for her to show hatred. My husband always tries to reassure me that I'm a great mother and that I'm doing everything well. However, sometimes the negative words and looks from my in-laws and parents make me feel defeated and powerless. Has anyone else experienced something similar? How do you cope with these feelings? I would like to hear experiences and advice from all of you. Thank you for your time and attention.

5 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

You do you. You’re teaching your children, especially girls, that chasing dreams is not only for men. Your parents and in laws are old school, maybe. Do they hold the same expectation towards your hb too? Stand up for yourself. Some ppl only learnt to respect others after getting bashed