I hv started my bub (7 mo now ) rice cereal when he is about 6mo. Today I decided to try new food n introduce Avocado (mashed) mixed w fm. He tasted a bit n he started to gag..end up throwing up all his fm (taken a 1.5 hrs ago) After cleaning him up, I go back to feeding him rice cereal but he was cautious (refuse to even taste by pushing with his hand n turning his head). But after I persist, he realised is it his usual food den he start eating again. How should I start introduce new food to him again ?is it wrong to start with avocado cos of its acquired taste?

6 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply
VIP Member

It takes patience and mutiple tries in introducing a new food to little ones. To me especially avocados, not many babies are able to accept the creaminess of the fruit. I tried even making with rice cereal, they eventually gagged and vomited out all the food. Why not try something else first before proceeding with avocado at a later stage?

Read more

Maybe you can try to blend the avocado instead of mashing. Mashing still leave lumps which may be hard to swallow. My baby can take solids well, however whenever i feed bananas, she will give me the gagging face because she doesn't like the texture. Reintroduce again in a week..meanwhile you can try other food :)

Read more

You can try again the next week. I gave my lo avocado at 7 mths and she didn't like it too. So few days later I try again. Now at 8 mths, she takes well to avocado! I blend and mixed it with bm.

It can take up to a multiple times reintroducing of the same food before baby takes to it. Alternatively add the advocado into babies cereal.

thanks

how about adding a little avocado into his cereal instead?

7y ago

Avocado is not a food that babies like :-( both my twins dun really like it :-(