Should a 2 year old be able to recognize numeric 1,2,3, colors, shapes?

38 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

Yes and kasi baby ko before pa siya mag two he knows how to count nung nag two na talaga siya alm naniya yung mga colors shapes , different vehicles& animal sounds Minsan nga niloloko namin siya na yung yellow is red pero icocorect niyapa kami and also fruits and animals alam naniya. But still dipende parin kung fast learner si baby. More on talaga dapat pinpanood or tinuturo nasiya kahit oaminsan minsan pero huwag biglaan matututunan naman niya basta hindi sila pinipilit mas okay lang talaga na handson kalang sa knya pag may natutunan siya lagi modin siyang i congrats na very good siya about sa bagay nayun and ma apriciate niya yun.

Read more

Depends on individual child. My boy can recognize numbers and colours quite early on maybe because we been using flash cards. He has a good memory and love to sing. My girl was better with alphabets, numbers and shapes but she can't do colours. And she doesn't remember lyrics and nursery rhymes well. I was actually worried she could be colour blind. But now at 3, she can recognize colours well. She love to colour so I work from there and let her colour and play. So it really varies with each child. Most important is to have suitable activities that they love and work from there.

Read more

Developmentally, 2 year olds are not expected to recognise digits and letters. They can be introduced to the concept of counting items in day to day life (e.g. count the number of apples in the basket etc). Colours and shapes can be introduced also in day to day activities - what colour is the apple? Focus on developing his/ her understanding and use of language - talk about what he/ she is doing/ seeing around him/her. Focus on developing his/ her play skills - children learn best through play.

Read more

In our current time, it is expected for 2 years old to be familiar with these figures but I don't think they neccesarily need to have memorized them already. My two year old is better in nursery rhymes and can recognize shapes and colors but not yet numbers (though she can recite numbers 1-5) Children have their own pace in learning. We must not force them to agree with the dictates of society as pressuring them to abrosb more than they can handle might hinder proper learning and development.

Read more
8y ago

@Felicilda thanks.. I am completely agree with your opinion

Not in all cases. Some toddlers learn things faster and some slower , but if u have been spending time helping to teach these things it will definitely help . Some toddlers tend to learn things better when more toddlers are learning with them. And some toddlers are too playful with mom so they don't learn much because of wanting to be playful . Every child has there own time . Don't compare your toddler to any other .

Read more
VIP Member

Depende mommy, kasi ako hindi ko naman pinipilit si baby. Tinuturuan ko sya pero may time na nakikinig sya at may time din na ayaw nya. Pag ayaw nya hinahayaan ko nalang. Pag nasa mood sya, dun ko sinasamantala. Hehe. 18 months sya marunong na mag count from 1-10. Ngayon 20 months sya, 1-20 na. Galing nga eh. Nagugulat ako. Alam nya na din yung ibang shapes. Colors hindi pa.

Read more

If your kid in school, from understanding they will be able to recognise some shapes, alphabets and numbers. Colors wise they do learn but will take time to identify the colors. Then again each child develops at their own pace, my 2 yr old can count to 10 as he follows his elder bro. But comes to alphabet wise, he is not good at it. Let them learn at their own pace :)

Read more

My 2yr & 1month old daughter can recognize basic colors and body parts. She cannnot count well yet. She say 2,3,2,5 etc. And we havent learn the shapes yet. In the alphabet chart, she know all the photos (apple, bell, car etc) but not the actual letters. Relax mommies and dont compare your child to others.

Read more

at 18 months they can recognize colors, as in really know them. some can recite the numbers but not really know the concept of counting, they learn the numbers from songs and they can count together with you, same goes with shapes.

it depends on individual kid development. Dun stress out. technically when they reach K1 they ll koe but in this new tread some bbs able to recognise as early as 10mths old