MIL or infant care?

Right from the beginning, my MIL said that she don’t want to take care of my baby. Reason is that she was tired taking care of my SIL’s kid and she don’t want to lose her freedom/wants to go for holidays. She even told me and my hubby to have only 1 kid cos it’s a lot of hard work taking care of a baby/kid. Now that my maternity leave is ending and I have already looked for an infant care centre and put a deposit, my MIL suddenly said that she wants to take care of my baby until he turns 18 months then put in childcare. Should I take up her offer or still stick to infant care? TBH I am worried that my baby will fall sick often in infant care. He is also very active. But I am worried that my MIL will change her mind again. She is also taking care of my SIL’s kid (He falls sick often too.) Confused mummy here. What should I do?

28 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply
Super Mum

I would stick to infant care, especially since your MIL is going to travel. A lot of the centres have stepped up on hygiene practices and they’re not allowed to be there if they travelled to high risk countries. If your MIL won’t intentionally wash hands before touching baby, then the risk of spreading germs is higher. Also, changing her mind is a scary thing. She could then blame you for taking her freedom away again. And if the way she takes care of baby is different from what you want, she might say that she’s making a big sacrifice and yet you’re ungrateful. Worse still, she may say she doesn’t want to take care of baby anymore, and you’re stuck without a place at infant care.

Read more