Just a thought/rant.

So recently I've gotten pregnant and perhaps am showing a little. We're not past our first trimester yet, and having heard stories of my own family members (a missing heart beat, a chromosomal disorder), I'm terribly afraid of this pregnancy going wrong. And it really annoys me to no end when family, friends and even acquaintance asked openly "are you pregnant?". I don't understand how is this an appropriate thing to ask?! My stance is that if a pregnant couple hasn't annouce their good news, it probably means they are not ready to. Why do people think they are entitled to the good news earlier? What good does it make to 1) Force the couple to announce before they are mentally ready (perhaps only after they know that the pregnancy is a stable one) ? 2) Force the couple to tell a lie, which is awkward and uncalled for? I believe we can all practise some sensitivity and know that sometimes...it literally is none of your business. 我怀不怀孕- 孩子都不是你的。关你什么事 ?

8 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply
Super Mum

I totally feel you! For my case, it’s my colleagues. They keep asking me before I’m pregnant and I got so fed up that I say “stop asking me. Even if I am, I won’t tell you when I’m in my first trimester. So don’t make me lie. And I will tell you when I can”. From then on, they never ask a single time. I think some people are just being concerned or some kpo. I just think positive that they want to celebrate happy news!

Read more
4y ago

I like your response to them 👍

My case is colleagues... Annoying to the max. First trimester I was on long mc. Keep asking me lots of questions. Will stare at tummy to find out. After knowing pregnant...keep asking due date.. Wanted to touch the tummy.. Worse some even ask.. "Huh this is also girl.. Ur elder is also girl right" I feel that colleagues are the most insensitive creatures.

Read more

I feel you. But mine is not family members. But an annoying colleague.... who always keep on asking! (Sometimes "pregnancy related" topic comes up once a week or almost everyday when at work. Shes such a busybody!) I had to lie because im not ready to tell colleagues yet. Hang in there! We can get through this. :)

Read more
4y ago

Argh annoying colleagues. I had a colleague who found out and went to annouce it to my big boss!! (behind my back) I confronted her right away after I found out and we fell out Hahaha. I'm not even sorry for it.

Haha! Just share with you a funny story. A colleague who is new actually asked me directly, "are you pregnant?" And after that asked, "what's your name ah?" People are just weird, kaypoh and insensitive. Sometimes it comes out of their own insecurities so just smile it away. Lol!

TapFluencer

Just ignore them!! My colleagues went to ask my male direct superior if I'm pregnant 🤨 They have nothing to do I guess🤔 Relatives like to ask too, when when when? Normally I will IGNORE

Read more
Super Mum

Sometimes people cannot tell how far along you are so take it positively that they care enough to ask.

VIP Member

I feel you! Don’t mind them! Just be positive 😊

VIP Member

totally agree it's sooooo annoying 🙄🙄🙄