5 Replies

When I was growing up, my mother used to allow me ice cream when I was having a sore throat. Looking back, that may not be the best/healthiest choice but it did provide some comfort and also got some food into my system (from what I remember, it was tough trying to have solid food when I was having very bad sore throat). Since it is high in sugar content, I guess it would probably be frowned upon now. In addition, I do not think there is any medical basis to it. Ice water or perhaps yogurt may be a better alternative for the same soothing effect. For cold, flu and sore throat, a good and nutritious comfort food for the little one would be chicken soup. Cook a pot at home to ensure that you have a good mix of vegetables and low salt content. It would likely help reduce inflammation. It is also easy to consume for children who can be fussy when they are not well. For me, personally, I think a gummy bear or small piece of chocolate once in a while (as long as it is not part of their daily diet) would not do much harm. While I don’t think there is any medical value to those, your child may enjoy that rare treat and help bring his/her mood up for a while.

My child is 6 years old now and we hardly allows him to eat sweet treats unless on special occasion like Chinese New Year. We only started giving him when he is around 4. He is always falling sick so we try to avoid giving him. Also, it is not advisable to give them sweets when they are sick. It may make them sicker if they are already having cough and phlegm. High sugar intake increases inflammation in the body and like Idza said, they will become reliant on it whenever they feel sick. http://www.whattoexpect.com/toddler-nutrition/kids-and-sugar.aspx

I think it's best to avoid sweet treats when they are too young because they will be dependent on these sweets each time they feel unwell in the future. If it's sweet things they are craving, there are other alternatives to consider like fruits or juices. My friend would give her daughter a juice box when she is feeling unwell. The taste of the juice (usually grape) will perk her up and sucking on the straw is very comforting, it seems.

Personally, I never did allow my older daughter to have sweet treats until she was 3 and even then, it was only saved for special occasions. I guess, if it's a healthier option like Gerber's yoghurt bites, I would be okay with it to sooth her for awhile. I used to give my daughter chilled yoghurt when she was younger whenever she has a sore throat. It really helps her relief for a while but only temporarily.

easing the kids discomfort can b done in many ways. i dont agree with uaing chocolate and gummy bear. especially cough, you should avoid sweet stuff else it may be worse. u can try to distract them by allowing them their favourite toys instead. singing is another way to distract them. if still nursing, nurse them as much as possible.

Related Questions

Trending Questions

Related Articles