When they can't tell if you are fat or pregnant

How would you reply (no, smile and ignore doesn't count as a reply) when your friend/colleague/relative comments "Ohhh no wonder!" to you telling them you are pregnant? You would know then that they've been looking at your ambiguous tummy/flabby arms/chubbier face wondering if it's from the weight you've recently gained. They don't know and can't see any of your other pregnancy symptoms so they just think you've gotten fatter. Feels kinda annoying that they didn't choose to just congratulate you but instead make that "oh no wonder" comment isn't it? ☹ Wished there's something smart we can reply to that.

5 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

hi! been in your shoes before, some OLs on the same floor as my office made similar comments.. I did not react much, only smile and nodded, thinking to myself karma will get them back someday because I know I have been blessed with my LO 😊 about witty comebacks, well... I am not sure how appriorate it is for your situation but my suggestion is: "oh! I thought you are preggers too! look at the size of your tummy!" (Dun matter man or woman la.. Because in my case, predominantly women 😊)

Read more
3y ago

hahahaha thanks, your comeback made me laugh!

hahahaha first thing my colleague asked when he found out is "oh? they will be bringing in someone to cover your workload right?" So I get what you mean. Just smile and ignore. Cause ultimately these people don't matter. and I'm sure close friends and family wouldn't say that to you.

totally understand how you feel. it was worse for me because my MIL thought i was growing fatter and fatter, and when we broke the news to her, her reaction was "confirm or not?" it was really hurtful.

3y ago

Oh gosh. Must be tough dealing with such a MIL :( You're strong & positive! 👍 :)

i go anywhere, no one since able to tell that i m preg n just fat. oh well.

VIP Member

Lol im so skinny... Lil bit of bloating ppl say im pregnant la. 😂

3y ago

Must have been extra tough to get those remarks/jokes during your first trimester! I really avoided meeting people as much as possible cos I didn't want to have people openly suspecting I'm pregnant. I'd feel stuck between revealing or hiding. 😒