Pinoy parents! How old were your teens/preteens when you began to allow them to go to malls unattended? My 12-year-old niece has sparked an interesting debate in our family, and I'm curious to see different input

5 Replies
 profile icon
Magsulat ng reply

My mom did not allow me to go out on my own until I was 16 years old. I think your niece should start gaining her independence and the trust of her parents slowly but surely. Maybe for now, both parties can agree that she can go out with a chaperone and then maybe if she gains her parents' trust, she can start going on her own.

Magbasa pa

I say 15. Also, and if possible, don't let her commute alone. Bring her to the mall and leave her there. Once it's time to go home, pick her up and bring her home with you. Always check if her phone has battery and load and remind her to check it from time to time.

Teens/preteens whether male or female walking alone in malls are definitely a target. Unaccompanied, I would say 18 is safest. I'd like to say also depends on the mall, but you can never let your guard down when it comes to safety.

I think 12 is a little young to be going to the mall by themselves, but this depends on where you are in the country. Some cities are safer than others. For Manila, I'd wait until she's a little older. Maybe 15 or 16.

I think 18 would be the right age. Unsupervised malling lower than that age is a big risk to the safety of your teenager.