Is it ok to let baby to fall down for them to learn? Will it hurt their brain? As I don't wish my kids too protective also. My baby 8months now. I bought a thick carpet for her (2inch). She always unaware and fall behind while sitting.

11 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

Let baby practice using her muscles, especially on transitonal movements. For example, let baby try to stand up on her own instead of rushing over to support her up, as this will deprive her of the practice of those muscles involved. As for falling down, I will always have my safety hands behind for my baby to fall a bit; free fall only on mattresses. Falling behind while sitting is probably a development stage where she is not ready to sit upright yet and cannot control it, and it will be so sayang to let her just fall on the back of her head all the time. I will say be protective depending on situations, trust your motherly instincts. =)

Read more

Babies are quite resilient but just make sure that it's not too often. If the fall is too hard, the baby cries inconsolably, has become listless, and has projectile vomiting, then this is not alright and head down to the ER. You may want to buy a head protector too. It's like a padded helmet without the hard outer shell. It cushions the baby's head on falls. I find it quite useful when my baby has started crawling and then when he was practicing walking.

Read more
8y ago

I bought mine from a second hand shop and it's home made. I have seen some of these helmets in Mothercare. Chicco might have them as well.

VIP Member

Nope, when kids grow, they tend to know how to climb up and down on their own. (Mine is 13 months and he know how to climbing up and down safety, of course we are always there to watch him out. He can climb the slide up well then his sister instead.) I mean you don't know when will be the worst fall that could cause them disabled or anything else too. It's always best to protect them and guide them while they grow up.

Read more

Falling from less than a metre think still generally ok but not too frequent. Playing and falling is normal and just be conscious of the possible bruises and watch out for any suspicious bumps or oddness in baby's behaviour after fall. Otherwise, should be fine. My girl fell when she was 4 months off my one metre high bed plus platform and scared the day lights out of my Wife.

Read more

Young children are not as fragile as they look and they are quite resilient. It would take a lot to permanently affect them. I feel that experience is the best teacher and unless it is a life threatening situation, parents shouldn't be too over overprotective. But that's my 2 cents anyways.

I prefer them to fall once or twice to learn tat wad they did was dangerous & its painful.. children nowadays r smarter than we think... after a while of "nagging" & some preventative measures, they will learn hw to navigate safely eg climbing dwn w feet touching the ground etc...

falling down in a safe position and with rightful protection should be fine but of course not too often as we will never know what can result in frequent falls with their little bones & muscles.. especially their neck and head which i personally find its the most fragile..

Babies head is fragile so i dont think its a good idea to let the baby fall to learn especially if she is falling behind while sitting. You never know how hard is the impact of the fall and how much baby can take it. Better be safe than sorry.. thats my take.

my mum said when they fall down they hurt themselves and they know it's pain they will try their best not to fall anymore but as a mum I can't bear to see him fall. but it's really quite effective. lol.

seems for me its learning progress. you put thick carpet its already good prevention. try to put pillow behind her. she will be stronger each day and wont fall few more weeks