Now my son very attached to pacifier. He cries when i took it especially when he bored or sleepy. So worry about it.. is it ok to let him use it for prolonged time?

8 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply
VIP Member

When he is active, do not give him. So he will not relay on it like even talk also want bite it. I only give to soothe her to sleep or when she is in pain during teething period, so easier to wean off too. As i'm Not sure how old is ur LO now, if he is already older than 1-2 years old plus, i will suggest using a force weaning off on him. (My fren tried my method and after a few day he will stop, and they avoid walking pass pacifier section so not to remind him or when he talk about it, they change topic.) Make sure most of his teeth is grown, so u won't get much of the teething cranky.

Read more
VIP Member

My son was on pacifier till 2years old. Been trying various suggestions by people (eg: put salt, chilli etc) but it doesnt worked for him. He needed it in order to sleep. As I'm worried that it may affect his speech, I decided to try cold turkey and distraction. Really got to be determined and dont give it when he cried or shout. It took me 1 week plus to totally wean him off the pacifier. Thus its easier to wean a child off pacifier when younger, older going to be hard. B ut I do know some older child will wean off themselves.

Read more

Some doctors say 6 to 12 months is a good time to wean your child from the pacifier, especially if your child is prone to to ear infections. If your child often has a pacifier in his mouth, he may be less likely to babble and practice talking, or the pacifier may distort his speech. When the time comes to wean your child from the pacifier, do it gradually. Many parents find it easiest to start by limiting daytime use, then work their way up to phasing it out of the nighttime routine. Starting a new bedtime ritualcan help.

Read more

Prolonged and frequent use of pacifier may cause delay in speech, affect incoming teeth and increase risk of ear infection. Try to restrict their using to only near sleeping time. My son used to be a pacifier addict. We tried to hide the pacifier away and distract him with other activities during the day! However, you might wana wean him off when he's 3-4yo, to prevent further dental problems (eg. upper teeth tip forward and etc).

Read more

perhaps not for a prolonged time, as it may increase the risk of ear infections, affect incoming teeth, and delay speech and social skills. a suggestion is to keep her mouth occupied, like getting her to speak or sing! that's what we did. i found this v helpful page for you on babies attachments to their pacifiers: http://www.whattoexpect.com/toddler/behavior/attachment-to-pacifier.aspx

Read more
8y ago

thanks a lot for the reply

If he only uses it when he is sleepy, it should be fine. My boy used to be very attached to the pacifier but we only allow him to have it when he is sleepy. Other time, we don't give it to him at all. If he is teething, we give teether instead, distraction is the best thing to do.

Pacifiers are not good to be used for a Long time as it may make the teeth grow outwards and later kids may have to use braces to set their teeth which may often be embarrassing for them!

don't worry it's OK when he is bigger then you slowly reduce the time then maybe only at night when he want to sleep then use