My son is very attached to my helper even though she only joined us 2 months ago. So much so that when he wakes up in the morning, he wants her and cries if I try to hold him instead. It's quite distressing - why is he doing that and what can I do?

3 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

If your helper is the primary caregiver to your baby, then I think it's perfectly normal for him to want her or look for her since she is her source of comfort and security most of the times. As a mother, I understand that it might hurt if your baby prefers her over you especially when you look forward to spend a litte time with your baby during the off days. Perhaps you could spend more time with your baby once you are back home? It could be a little tiring and stressful but I think it would help if your baby gets to interact with you a little before he sleeps and ends his day. Also, if he night feeds, attend to him instead of the helper and jump at any chance that you use to bond with him. Hopefully this way, it will help you to feel a lot more closer to your baby.

Read more
VIP Member

My baby is also more attached to my helper as she is the main caregiver at home. I really understand how you feel as I also get this jealous and sour feeling everytime I see him wanting her over me. But I keep telling myself that I have no choice as I am a working mum. I also tell myself that when he is older, this all will slowly fade as the helper is not a permanent thing in his life but I am. Try to spend time with your baby when you are at home instead of doing other things to make up for lost time. :)

Read more

Is the helper the primary caregiver in your home? Are you a full time working mum? If so, it's natural that your baby is more attached to the helper. If the helper is good and you intend to keep her long term, I personally don't see any issue with it. :)