Insomnia

Hi, is it normal to be having difficulty in sleeping during the first trimester? or does it happen throughout the pregnancy?

30 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

Me too. At wk15 my nausea comes at night before sleep and I would stay up wil midnight due to vomit sensation and I have to be up by 5.30 to wake the elder children to sch, prepare their meals and I wil only get to sleep back ard 7.30 to 10am. I think what we have to do is to make up for the loss of night sleep, naps during day at least 1 to 2hrs. Else we be stuck with dizzy spells and nausea. Pregnancy is damn happening. Heeee.

Read more

I have no problem sleeping for 2-3 hrs during my afternoon nap. But when it comes to night I will usually feel very tired at 9-10pm but I have been waking up in the middle of the night like 2-3am to go toilet and keep flipping in bed without my phone till 4-5am. :( I tried to skip afternoon nap so that I could sleep better at night but no use for me too... sad... :’(

Read more
3y ago

Me too I sleep at 10-11pm now and try not to drink water after 9 so that earliest I get up to per is 5-6am then I usually wake up around 8am... still need 1-2 hrs afternoon nap 😅

Yes. It will happen in first and third trimester. I could only sleep well in the afternoon 😂😂 the earliest I would go to bed would be at 3am. Sometimes even at 6am. Based on my experience, my third trimester is like the first trimester all over again 😂tried forcing myself to sleep but couldn't so I just do whatever to make myself tired and sleep

Read more
Super Mum

Extremely normal mama - try having short naps? Aromatherapy might help too but do get the better quality ones because I’ve read if the oil isn’t pure and of better quality it can cause problems when you’re pregnant. You could also try having a bedtime routine - like a warm glass of milk or a book before bed. Hope this helps.

Read more

Yes it is common due to the increase in progesterone. I had super bad insomnia in the first trimester (3-4 hours per night) and it’s better now during my 2nd tri. Try to have day naps, it should not affect your sleep in the night as you are already having sleep debt.

It’s normal sis. Every pregnancy is different. For both my pregnancies, I was super sleepy during the day and had insomnia at night on both first and third trimester. I was only active (slept well and woke up early) during second trimester 😂

Super Mum

No. I sleep a lot in 1st trimester apart from waking up and going to the toilet frequently . I sleep well in 2nd trimester. I only have difficulty sleeping in 3rd trimester with the tummy and waking up to go to the toilet

Hi hi. It's hormones changing. Some makes the mommy super sleepy while some makes mommy super active. Every pregnancy is different. Don't worry okie. Just relax and catch up on sleep when you can.

VIP Member

For me yes… I will fall asleep very easily but the sleep will only last 30mins to maybe 1hr the most and I will be awake for 3-5hours till I fall asleep again…

I had difficulty throughout, but it's worse 3rd trimester - I think it's also from the stress of trying to sleep on the left side which I'm not accustomed to.