Job

Is it necessary to disclose your pregnancy before starting work? What if you’re just a temporary staff?

14 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

No, don’t have to declare as u don’t owe them anything. Like u said, you’re just a temp staff, if you’re gonna stop work before u deliver n r not going to claim any maternity leave or benefits then why need to declare? If workplace is easy enough on you & u can handle the workload it should be fine, why risk getting terminated after declaring ur pregnancy? Plus, declaring your pregnancy when u don’t expect anything is kinda pointless right? Like what do u want the employer to do? Give u lesser work? Pay more? If you’re a temp staff, chances are the company is lacking manpower hence looking for temp staffs, if the temp staff can’t fill the position they might as well don’t hire.. No hate, just my honest opinion as I was also a temp staff during pregnancy n even my employer at that time had the same thought. (We became quite close after my contract ended as she stayed nearby me n I saw her super often)

Read more

Its best to declare to be fair to the company and it can also safeguard you. If they know you are pregnant, your employers can look out for you in terms of workload etc. It doesnt hurt to be transparent from the beginning. Hiding important truths like this might make the working experience between employer/employee a little complicated in case anything arise, even if you are just a temp staff

Read more
4y ago

what if decide to not hire me due to that?

MOM website: ‘To balance your work responsibilities and allow for work scheduling, you are encouraged to inform your employer of your pregnancy.’ Better declare for transparency

4y ago

Like i said, Temporary staff, will leave in about 1-2months I’m 7mths pregnant.

Still need to declare, otherwise they could put you in much stress situations.

VIP Member

Office or retail? Does your job require any carrying heavy workloads etc?

4y ago

My bump is practically almost non existent 😹 I can manage the workload & jobscope :)

Better to declare in case of future complications

Not necessary, I think it's a personal choice

TapFluencer

Best to declare even if u are a temp staff.

VIP Member

Best to declare even for temp positions

It’s better to declare