Nail clipper, nail buffer and nail scissors - which one is easier and safer to use on babies below 3-month old? Intend to cut my LO's nails but not sure which one is better as she startles easily even with slightest movement. Thanks.

24 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

As baby's nails are softer and rather malleable, baby nail scissors, which have rounded tips for safety, are perfect for the task. i've tried nail clippers but I can never seem to get a clean cut with them. If baby's nails are short but seem jagged, you can use a baby emery board to smooth the rough edges. Having 2 people to cut baby's nails will be easier than one -- one to hold baby and one to clip/cut. If your baby gets startled easily, the parent holding the baby can also be the one to distract baby by talking or singing. Make sure the light is good so you get a clear view of baby's tiny nails. Also, you might want to try to clip/cut baby's nails after he has eaten -- a full tummy would render baby a wee bit sleepy and this could be the perfect time for such a "startling" experience.

Read more

You can try trimming your baby’s nails after a bath when the nails are at their softest, or when they are sleeping. Use baby nail clippers to clip the nails or file them using an emery board. Here’s a video with a step-by-step guide on how to trim a baby’s nails: http://www.webmd.com/parenting/baby/video/how-to-trim-baby-fingernails Some of my friends would use clippers first, followed by a quite buff to make sure the nails are not too sharp.

Read more

I find that using the normal adult/kid, but small nail clipper, is way easier and safer. You'll be able to see where you're cutting. I used the baby nail clipper but accidentally cut wrongly cz the blade clipper somehow makes it difficult to see clearly.

Nail Buffer! Won’t hurt the baby’s fingers at all. Super easy and fast! Hakkaa one cheaper than Lollababy. Works the same! And u can do it yourself.

I used nail clipper for my bb. I cut his nails while he was asleep. otherwise, difficult when he was awake.

Super Mum

I find nail clipper more effective. Nail buffer doesn't seems to work. Nails are still sharp and long.

Nail clippers or Scissors, see which you feel more comfortable with

VIP Member

Nail Clippers has been my go to all the time

VIP Member

Nail scissors, like it's curved edges

Nail clipper is easier to handle!