My wife eats a lot after after a long day of taking care of our baby. Is it normal?

6 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

They say breastfeeding is equivalent to running 8 miles a day. It is not just the calories used to produce the milk, caring for a baby takes a lot of energy too! I get hungry after most of my baby's feed. It is better to have small and frequent meals as compared to one big meal. Eating healthy helps too! You can ask your wife to sneak in healthy snacks like fruit smoothie, fruits etc.

Read more

Taking care of a baby is soooooooo exhausting. So yes, I wouldn't be surprised to see a mom eating more than her usual at the end of a long day of looking after your little troublemaker :) Sometimes I eat lots because I need to replenish energy or sometimes just as a reward. Make sure to not make her feel bad about it (she KNOWS she's eating more) and keep healthy food around.

Read more

Your wife is working hard taking care of the baby and breastfeeding! Rather than focus on how much she eats, I'd be more concerned with being there for her and being supportive. If your wife has expressed a concern for eating too much, then I'd try and refocus her food to more vegetables and foods high in good fats such as sweet potato and avacado which are filling but healthy.

Read more

Yeah I eat a lot more than my husband and a whole load more than when I was pregnant. Being pregnant only takes an extra 200 calories a day, breastfeeding takes an extra 500 a day! So yes, VERY NORMAL- if someone was breastfeeding and wasn't that hungry I would be worried :)

I was not a breast feeding mum but I think BF mum use a lot of energy each day. I think it is normal if your wife does both BF and take care of your baby. BF mum also need 500 calories more than mum who does not do breast feeding too!

thanks