My two-year-old is a fussy eater. How do I make sure that he is getting all the right nutrients?

13 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

Here are some suggestions you can try to encourage your son to try new/a variety of food: You can try eating together as a family and having the same food as your toddle. When your child sees that you are having the same food, he will be more inclined to “copy” and join in. Praise him when he is willing to try something new. Make a big fuss out of it, he will likely enjoy the attention. Be enthusiastic about the food that you are feeding him. When he sees how much you are enjoying the food, he will be more motivated to try it as well. Make mealtimes relaxed and enjoyable. Arrange lunch/dinner dates with other children. When he sees his peers eating and enjoying the food, he will want to join in too. Try offering different finger food to help he learn about textures of various food. He will learn to have greater control over self-feeding and this may also make him more open to trying different food. Involve your son. During grocery shopping, get him to pick out things in the supermarket. When he is old (and stable) enough, ask him to help set up the dining table. These will help promote positive eating habits, and hopefully lead to less pickiness when it comes to eating. These are just a few I’ve picked from this article; you can take a look for more ideas: http://www.babycentre.co.uk/a1008600/how-to-cope-with-feeding-a-fussy-toddler

Read more