My toddler never gets tired of taking plastic containers, pots and pans in and out of the kitchen cupboards and pulling books off shelves. Why is this happening and what can I do about it?

11 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

You can also try making it into a fun game, like a scavenger hunt. Hide some of the common items he/she enjoys moving around and get him/her to find them and place them into different boxes (this will, hopefully, also help teach him/her how to pack and clean up after himself/herself). Otherwise, as long as any sharp items and glasswares are well kept, you can probably let him/her continue with the little game he/she seemed to be having. As for the books, just be sure it is not too heavy and could hurt him/her when those are being pulled off the shelves. Guess you may have to bear with the mess or try slowly teaching him/her to place the books back onto the shelves. Can try turning it into a game of "who can put the most number of books back in one minute". Just some suggestions. :)

Read more

Tell me about it. My toddler does it all the time. She even knows how to unhook and replace back the child lock. Ikea has very good coloured utensils. She will take them out and play with them. You can even teach her on categorising the cups from the plates and bowls or by colours. Mix them up with forks and spoons. Imagine play like tea party. Train her motor skills like stiring and stacking. Next you can guide her on housekeeping too.

Read more

As long as it's not going to be causing him any harm, just let him explore and have fun. If you're worried that he will get hurt or simply tired of picking up after baby, you could move the items to higher ground, where it is not as easily accessible to baby. You could also try distracting baby with other more appropriate and safer items he can play with like interactive books or educational building blocks.

Read more

My lo love that too. He will take my baking pans to play with his toy trucks. There was once i didnt notice he took the baking pan to the garden and pour sand into it. There goes my baking pan. It is a phase of exploring the environment around the kids. Let them explore and have fun. They will outgrew and explore another fun stuff.

Read more

Well, this is good and bad. They are learning how to explore. So long as you keep the dangerous things away from your toddler, think it should be fine. The only con is that you have to keep for them. Meanwhile, let to educate them to keep the toys too. This is part of growing up.

Read more

Kids are very smart nowadays. They will fully utilize their potential at a young age. They are merely practising their motor skills and impressing you with them. However, you may also take this opportunity to guide or teach your toddler to keep after messing up.

Read more

Your toddler is exploring! As her world expands, the more safe opportunities you give her to check it out, the better. So while it's just plastic containers to you, it's a cupboard full of fun for her -- and just one more stop on the route to growing up.

Your child is probably just curious. Do install the safety locks for cupboards if you want to curb his habit because that is what i do. I limit which cupboards he has access to for safety reasons

nothing to worry about this dear... it's very normal.. he is more curious and active.... u should encourage him to do new things which make him learn ...

Get them their own set of pots and pans and containers