My son is 5 and still sleep with us. My friends keep telling me that we have to make him sleep alone. But i am confused. What will b right age to get him to sleep alone.

11 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

Some kids can sleep on their own at very young age, and some is unable to because they are more attached to their parents, especially mom. I personally tried to let my eldest to sleep on her own at 4 years old, but she can't sleep well... she will cry in the middle of the night and looking for me. Now at 6 years old, she is still not ready too. So, I think I will still let her sleep in my room together- gether. LOL. Eventually, if your kids can sleep on their own, it is a good thing to do. Good training.

Read more

Personally, I don't think there is any "right" age with regard to this. It probably depends on whether you (and your husband) and your child are ready for the transition. If you think it's time, then you can try getting him to sleep in his own room. Some of my friends made the decision when their children requested to have their own beds (around 4 or 5 I think). And some simply thought it is good so that they (the parents) can have some space and also, to help their children be a little more independent.

Read more

Since i came into the world of parenting, i have realized that there are always people sharing their advise out of goodwill. However, we need to decide for ourselves what we feel is best for us and our family. Every household is different and there is no two of the same kind. There is not right age. Kids can sleeo on their own as early as even 1 month old, needless to say the older kids. Then again if you choose to allow your son to sleep with you, then let it be.

Read more

You can start the transition at age 6 or 7, so that when he begins primary school, he is comfortable being in his own room. Make it exciting! Put glow in the dark stickers or boy-theme wallpaper. Start with a playroom then tell him later this will be his own room, where he can be independent and sleep by himself. And don't worry so much. When the time comes, he'll be willing to move to his room (and mom will misses him too!)

Read more

I agree with Jacq Ng, there is no right age. It generally depends on the parents and whether the child is ready. My children, 2.5 and 5, are co sleeping with us and we have no issues. Personally, I enjoy having them sleeping with us as I feel safe seeing them sleep so soundly. i believe in a few more years, they might request to have their own space. For us parents, we have our privacy once they sleep.

Read more

There is no right age for you to transit your kid to sleep alone. As long as you and him are ready to do so, you can start the transition. My daugther co-sleep with us until she is 5 years old too. And now she will come to our room for 'staycation' over the weekend only and I find this is very sweet and help us to get close to each other.

Read more

My 6 yr old still co sleeps with us and I see no issue with it. He tried twice sleeping on his own but was not successful. Neither do we feel comfortable sleeping without him too. Haha! So we shall just let him till he is ready.

there's no right age. depends if your little one is ready or not. i find co-sleep is a good way to bond. as they grow, you want them to sleep with you they may not want

my 7 year old still share the same room as us. i have a 2in1 room as i hack the wall. he sleeps the other side of the room . my 2yr co sleep with me .

I hope my dau still co sleep with me even she's already teen..since she came i cant sleep without her by my side..