My hair is getting messy and I feel like doing hair rebonding. Has anyone heard of any risk in doing it?

9 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

Each type of hair is considered to have a natural bond, such as, some are curly whereas some are wavy which gives the hair its physical quality. Re-bonding breaks your hair structure with the use of cream softeners or relaxant. Then a neutralizer is used which bonds the structure again making your hair look straight. In simple words, re-bonding treatment modifies your natural hair structure and restructures it. Is it safe to have this chemical hair treatment done when you are carrying? The following pros and cons might be helpful. Pros: Hair treatments are not completely dangerous. Health experts recommend, any chemical treatment during pregnancy must be administered with proper guidance and care. Yes, it is true that any chemical used for hair re-bonding is absorbed by your body through her skin. Your scalp absorbs a minimal amount and this minimal amount does not create a problem for your baby. Though the fixation solutions may irritate your scalp, but it will not affect the other areas of your body. Cons: There is not much evidence that hair bonding treatments are completely safe for you or your growing baby. But do refrain from any kind of chemical based hair treatments till the second trimester. Due to your hormonal changes, your hair might not behave as it used to be pre-pregnancy. It would be advisable, not to experiment with your hair at this time. The effects of these treatments would not stay for too long and nor even hold too well. Some experts even recommend refraining from the use of any relaxing agents that has chemical lye. As such, these contents can irritate your scalp and can even cause you hair damage. The strong odour from lye bases contents can make you feel dizzy and nauseous. Hence, it is risky for you and your precious baby.

Read more
VIP Member

There are not enough studies to prove harmful side effects of hair rebonding during pregnancy. However, due to the hormonal changes a pregnant woman experiences, the effects of the treatment might not last as long as if it would. Personally, I avoided such treatments during my pregnancy, just because I am not much of a risk taker. If you would like to go ahead, do make sure the place is well ventilated so you don't end up ingesting the fumes which may cause you to feel nauseous and drowsy. http://pregnant.sg/articles/hair-rebonding-and-pregnancy/ Here are some natural methods of gaining straight hair without going to the salon! http://www.treehugger.com/organic-beauty/6-ways-straighten-your-hair-naturally.html

Read more
Post reply image
VIP Member

Rebonding affects people differently. It's not necessary that you will go through a crazy amount of hairfall just because a friend did. However, know that rebonding is a chemical procedure and like any other chemical procedure, it has its side effects. I got mine done two years back and my hair got thin and weak. But the effect wore off after two years and with ample amount of nourishment, I got my natural waves and thickness back. Do consult with your stylist on what works best for you. My suggestion is to immediately Google the brand she mentions and check out its disadvantages.

Read more

im 10 weeks pregnant and have wavy messy hair. its been a while since i did rebonding at a salon but since im pregnant now i do not want to risk anything so i just use my panasonic hair straightener. part ur hair into section then doing it slowly.. took me 1hour to get it all done. will it last? ofcourse not. but it will help to tame it for about 3 days or so.. if u have time on ur hands maybe this would be the best option. and oh if u are scared of drying from the ironing.. i use sunsilk leave on just to help it abit. 🤔

Read more

There are no risks that I know of. Based on my experience, though, the chemicals tend to dry my hair and make it more unruly months later, when the rebonding wears off. I've opted for Keratin treatments every 3-4 months, my hair has retained its natural softness and wave while still having nice body and moisture. It looks a lot more natural than rebonding. You could give it a try!

Read more

My advise- do Not rebond! I had my wavy hair rebonded 2 years back. Once the rebonding effect wore-off, my hair became curly 😣. Means I have to rebond again! But I will not as chemicals used are too strong plus post-rebonding you have to maintain your hair's 'health' by spa etc....not just oiling.

hi im new member ask q lng po if pwede na magparebond kapag nagpapabreastfeed?

3y ago

Yes po, basta po ang gagamitin na pang rebond is ung walang ammonia as per my friend na nagwowork sa salon, and sa knya po ako nagpa rebond, 3 months ko pa lang po after manganak , wala nman ako or si baby naging problema kahit breastfeeding din ako, habang nagrerebond & color nga po ako ay pinapadede ko si baby kx nd sya nagdedede sa bottle , hehehe For me wala po problema ..

I asked my doc abt this too and she asking me back, is it a 'Compulsory?

thanks