My 2-year-old boy has been sleeping late eg 10pm and wakes up as early as 7am. I'm concerned that he may not get sufficient sleep. Any suggestions to coax him sleep earlier?

4 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

Your 2-year old needs about 12 hours of sleep in the day. Ideally 10 hours should be uninterrupted and continuous sleep at nighttime. Here is what you can do to help your child sleep earlier at night: 1. Perhaps look at revising / tweaking the length and timing of his day-time naps. 2. Look at what activities he is doing in the evening time, and are they physically demanding to tire him out -- maybe increase active playtime for him in the evening. 3. Establish a predictable bedtime routine -- bath, change, reading, and start that off earlier. This really helped with my daughter. 4. Slow down the pace of the household around the child's bedtime.

Read more

I agree with Diana on this. It depends a bit on the length of your child's nap time in the afternoon. Our 2 year old son sleeps about 2 hours during the day, which changes depending on his last nights sleep. I would not be concerned, but I can share some tips with what worked for us: we created a bedtime routine which is the same every night. This makes him sleepy. The routine includes sounds (closing curtain), smells (his blanket), and actions (read a book with dimmed lights, change him, put on the pyjamas, etc). Also, we try to slow things down, speak calmly, and avoid hectic/energising activities around 1 hour before bedtime.

Read more

Here is a general guide on the sleep amount for children: http://www.webmd.com/parenting/guide/sleep-children 1-4months: 14-15hours 4-12 months: 14-15hours (most get about 12hours) 1-3 years: 12-14hours (most get about 10hours) 3-6 years: 10-12hours (most get about 9hours) Your boy sleeps about 9 hours. Does he take nap in the afternoon? If he does take nap for 1 to 2 hours then it is considered sufficient. If he doesn't take nap, and he seems to appear tiring during daytime, try to shift bedtime one hour earlier by tucking him into bed earlier.

Read more

What I do with my 17m is to tuck her in bed and off the night. I will stay with her for as long as she needs to get to sleep. I sing to her and pat her. Maybe you can try doing this method?