My 1yo son has been sleeping in the same room as us all along. When is a good time to let him sleep in his own room? What is the best way to ease the transition? He isn't able to walk yet, but when he can, I'm worried that he will open the drawers / cupboards and start throwing out stuff when he wakes up in the middle of the night. Accidents might happen. Any advice on this matter?

8 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

I transit my elder boy to his own bedroom at the age of 4. We decorated his bedroom together so that he looks forward to sleeping there. First night i accompany him till he doze off . I explained to him why he is now sleeping on his own (he is a big boy now and will grow to be more and more independent ). I make sleeping in his own bedroom sounds really fun and exciting . Assured him that we are jus next door . And we dim the light , not total darkness for a start. To my surprise , 2nd night onwards, he doze off on his own and the rest of the nights no issue anymore :)

Read more

Both my kids still co sleeping with me. It really depend on you and your kids on how ready for it. No right age in my humble opinion. Some parents start very young, and some parents willing to co sleep until the kids are ready. If you ask me, is one year old is too young...for me, i will say yes cos my kids as old as 6yo still co sleep with me. Lol.

Read more

U can buy drawer locks (http://g01.a.alicdn.com/kf/HTB1gGssHVXXXXXvXXXXq6xXFXXXu/Via-Fedex-DHL-Baby-Safety-Lock-Protection-Multipurpose-Cabinet-Lock-Plastic-Children-Kids-Drawer-Lock-w.jpg). I use them all around the house to prevent my lo from opening drawers and cupboards that she can reach.

VIP Member

My baby was sleeping in her own room from day 1. It's quite mahfan, but I didn't want to handle the issue of getting her to transition later. she is ten weeks old now and so far no issue. She has her own cot and we use a baby monitor. :) We take turns to do night feed as I express milk.

7y ago

Which baby monitor are u using?

This thread is precisely why I refuse to cosleep. These poor kids have no independence all because parents want to be helicopter parents.

VIP Member

Yup, I totally agree that 1yo is too young. Wow, at 6yo, they are still sleeping with you? Hope to hear from others soon. thanks for sharing!

VIP Member

Thanks. At what age is your girl sleeping in her own room?

VIP Member

thank you to both above!