Bottle feeding

Hi mummy does any have problem feeding your newborn using bottle? Mine is just 2 days old and she doesn’t seems to know how to suck from bottle yet . And even if she sucks and drink . She will still spit out aloe of milk . Maybe 90ml of milk she will only drink like 10-20ml .. is it normal ?? Afraid she is not full ..

15 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

Oh dear! I had the same prob too. I was so worried as i couldn’t get my baby to latch hence i had to opt for bottle feeding only to find out he don’t really know how to suck on the bottle. Keep on trying. Look up on various bottle brands out there. I’m using avent and initially baby was having a hard time to suck but i kept twirling the teat in his mouth for sensory feel. Eventually he know how to suck after a while. Hope it works for u! :)

Read more
VIP Member

Hi mommy, newborn still need to learn how to latch on whether it be nipple or bottle teat. It’s normal that she spills and also you may wanna take note the amount. 90ml is too much. Anyway, we have a mummy’s groupchat on Whatsapp where we ask questions and get necessary support and information from each other. Let me know if u wanna join ;)

Read more

I changed brands quite a few times & it still didn’t help for mine. Till i realized it wasn’t because of the bottle but because she was still learning. It took time but now she is drinking well from bottle 🤗

What brand of bottle are you using? You might want to try different brand of bottle & teats. Some mummies feedback Pigeon/Hegen brand works better for their LO. Or else can try cup or syringe feeding.

4y ago

I’m using avent

I think for 2-day old, the stomach size is only about 20-30ml, so think it's normal if unable to drink all 90ml? I found a useful guide from a breastfeeding group on FB, maybe it can help you?

Post reply image
4y ago

Thank you!

I'm using avent from the start but at first my LO I find it that he doesn't know how to suck like that. I change to pigeon after one month I change back avent.

VIP Member

Is she too used to breastfeeding? If she is, try to find a teat that resembles the nipple. Try to introduce the bottle slowly, don’t give up! :)

Hi, Baby's gradually get accustomed to latching and bottle feeding. So, I would suggest keep trying. But also different brand if that helps

90ml seems too much for a 2 day old. And 10-20ml is how much a 2 day old drink every feeding.

Thank you all mummies , baby now knows how to use the bottle and starts to drink well ..