mummy feeling detach from mewborn

Hi mummies I am a ftm here. Is it normal for mummy to feel detached from newborn. When everbaby gets cranky and cry, i feel like im umable to handle baby and want to detached the baby. Like too scared to handle baby. It was all fine at thehospital but ever since we return home, with my mil's care for the babyand her ability to soothe the baby when he is crying, i cant helo but feel torn btw feeling detached, yet i want to fully take care of baby on my own after confinement ends so that i can bond with baby and form secure attachment with baby. Ifeel like if i continue with the helo of my mil, it cripoles my ability to care of the baby , bond and form attachment.

11 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

Hey, just want to reassure you that you are not alone. I was in the same situation except it’s CL not MIL. I tried to learn everything from CL so that I can take on the duties, but at the same time I freaked out at not being able to handle. This is also while not feeling any love for the baby, especially when the baby is cranky and keeps crying, refusing to be pacified. The feeling is really shitty. Things only got better when bb got past 2mths, somehow became slightly easier to handle, and also start to develop the bond more. The baby also goes thru changes and it takes time. So I would say although it sounds very cliche - it takes time, and just have to be patient with it. Meanwhile just learn to do tasks during this period like bathing, changing diapers and feeding. So that even if you don’t feel attached to baby, you can still do these tasks like chores. The lovey feeling can come later. Not sure if what I said above is what I think you’re going thru. But hope it helps!

Read more
VIP Member

Hi mummy, I had the same problem as you, but instead of MIL, it was the confinement nanny. A few days before she left, I decided to take over the night feedings and my baby was inconsolable and I was distraught. I cried so much because I thought my baby hated me. But I persevered and tried all methods to soothe her. Now, 3 weeks later, I'm the only one who can soothe her to sleep at night :) she knows my presence already. My advice to you is to learn from your MIL and dont give up. When you feel confident enough tell your MIL that you will soothe her. Eventually your baby will be so sticky to you :) Also, I will suggest googling the 5S to soothe a baby, worked like a charm for me!

Read more
VIP Member

People told me that baby like to "bully" ftm. They can sense our mood. So you have to be confident when you handling your baby. Don't let him feel your fear. He is more insecure and fear compared to us. He fear we drop him down, he fear bathing water too warm, he fear we don't feed him, and lot more. It's normal to fail and try again. Take the chance to learn from your mil and fail/learn as many times as you can. Tell her you want to be able to take care of own baby when she is not around after confinement. Stay happy and confident mummy. You can do it

Read more
VIP Member

It’s normal. My confinement nanny handled everything except for feeding the baby. I took a crash course from her for 3 days but I still felt a bit lost when she left but when I had to take care and bath my baby on my own, I realised I could do it too. Relax and don’t be too stressed! I realised feeding the baby, talking to the baby and skin to skin contact could help with bonding and soothe the baby too.

Read more
VIP Member

Learn and practice more from your MIL. Baby can sense if they are not being held properly and may simply prefer being held in a different way. Don't be afraid to admit you don't know how to do stuff but emphasize that you want to learb! Jiayou mama!

Hey, I would suggest try to learn the tactics your mil uses to take care of the baby and I am sure with time you will also get it and will not feel detached with the baby. so, don't worry and speak to your mil about this and you should be fine

Super Mum

Learn from ur mil on her tactics and ask her to let u try instead of her handling the baby all the time . Speak to her ;)

Super Mum

Do get some rest and learn some tricks to handle the newborn from mil and internet and frds

Perfectly normal. Once you get the hang of it, you’ll do just fine :)

I am feeling the same except mine is CL.