DIY Confinement Tips

For mummies who DIY-ed your own confinement, any tips, tricks or hacks to share? Some things I’ve done / thought about: I already bought the 30-day pre-packaged herbs from laobanniang, which my husband will help to prepare. My husband usually cooks my meals but we are also considering to order the confinement tingkat for maybe just the first two weeks or so till we settle down. Either that or we’ll prepare in advance and deep freeze some meals for emergency. Any other ideas or tips for DIY during this confinement period?

2 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply
Super Mum

If you are willing to spend, UV steriliser and robot vacuum are very useful. Haha. The former sterilises and dries the stuff, and the latter helps to at least sort out the dust and hair on the floor because it’s just too tiring to sweep during the confinement period, and even after that. As for tips, 1) sleep when baby sleeps, and whenever you can. Please remember to eat too! You need them for energy, sanity and milk supply 2) invest in a good nursing cushion (my favourite one is a China no-brand one) that allows baby to feed while you’re hands free, so you can sit on the sofa to feed baby and also eat/use your phone at the same time. Because my cushion is rounded, even if I fall asleep while feeding, baby doesn’t fall out. The sofa/breastfeeding couch should allow you to raise your legs.. makes a lot of difference in your comfort level. 3) Don’t stress about feeding! Whether you choose to breastfeed or give formula, it’s okay! If you have not enough breastmilk, top up with formula, especially if baby has jaundice. 4) you will be tired and your mood may be erratic, so find good emotional support 5) keep baby’s awake interval to 45-60minutes only to avoid overtiredness, and baby being cranky for the next 3 hours 6) you’ll become really good at multitasking, and you’ll be surprised how much you can do at the same time 😂 but you’ll also be tired that you’ll lose track of time and forget some things (both you and your husband), so cut each other and yourselves some slack and laugh about it rather than getting frustrated. I DIY-ed confinement with my husband twice. Totally worth it for me. Even with a toddler melting down a lot the second time.

Read more
4y ago

I have no regrets at all. Would have been miserable with a confinement nanny 😂 I like doing everything myself, and my own way, that’s why.

I think it depends on whether you have a natural delivery or C-section. You will recover faster if you have a natural birth but it will still take a while for you to regain your strength and energy. The night feeds and lack of sleep will be torturing. So food is your only consolation. If your husband is helping you, he also needs to be prepared that it’s going to be very tiring for him if he is gonna work in the day too.

Read more