No plain water during confinement

Hello mummies, is it true that during confinement no plain water is allowed? Will it cause water retention? What about diluting the red dates tea so it is less “heaty”. Any mummies experienced it? Thanks!!

11 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

It's an myth. Even the TCM physicians say to drink warm plain water. Not everyone can take the red dates tea everyday. I saw a TCM physician before discharge, and she told me to drink red dates tea on alternate days since I was already heaty before starting confinement. I told that to my confinement nanny, and she insisted on me drinking the red dates tea daily, but diluted. But I still felt that it was too heaty, especially since I was also eating all the very heaty food at the same time. I was so heaty, my baby rejected me when I carried her, since my body was so warm 😅 For the first week, I experienced very bad swelling in my feet, even though I didn't drink any plain water. For me, it was bcos I was on IV for 6 hours during delivery. Your body will take time to expel the excess water through sweating and passing urine. During that time, you need to be hydrated enough, so your body knows not to hold on to that excess fluid. I was drinking around 2-3L of fluids daily (1L red dates tea, 1L red bean soup, 1L soup), but I still felt dehydrated. So I started to also drink warm plain water in the 2nd week. My swelling subsided on the 12th day.

Read more