Is it safe?

Hi mummies, need your opinion and advise. I work in a retail store which requires me to climb the ladder and carry stocks. Is it okay for 7 weeks pregnant woman to do that? My company knows about my pregnancy and my manager is giving me a hard time. What should I do?

16 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply
VIP Member

Heavy stocks? Is pretty dangerous for first trim. Talk to your manager again. Assign you floor assist / cashier instead of climbing up n down at back end. If manager ok as in there’s someone with you. Discuss with light duties. As in you won’t be using ladder. Assist with it instead. Discuss with colleagues too. If everything are ok, hope they understand cos u are preg still in 1st trim. If he/she still doesn’t care. Go to HR or MOM. Let your gynae know also.

Read more

Hi dear, Congrats! It's not about safety assessment here but think if it's worth the risk???? In my opinion, it's never worth it. A pregnant woman should not be expected to climb or carry heavy loads. Should any mishap happen, which no one can predict, it'll be too late. So please take care and assess not the safety aspect but if you should talk to someone of higher position if your boss is not understanding.

Read more

firstly the ladder that you are using should be safe regardless if u are pregnant or not with a handhold. Those A-frame silver kind imo is not very sturdy especially if u still need to hold stock where there is a risk u may fall. Also to take into consideration the height. If platform ladder which can be locked with a standing platform and handhold should be safe. Please takecare!!

Read more
4y ago

Then i would say you should avoid it. Not sure why your superior is giving you a hard time when he/she knows you are pregnant. Please takecare!

TapFluencer

Definitely not ok to climb up the ladder and carry heavy stocks. Speak to the higher up, request to do just simple task like top up light stocks or just cashiering. Get your colleagues to help carry heavy stuff if needed. I work in retail line too and my boss will just let me do Cashier and occasionally sitting down if tired.

Read more
Super Mum

You shouldn’t be climbing or carrying heavy loads throughout your pregnancy. Try speaking to someone who can help you (HR, big boss). I know it sounds crazy, but if none of that works out, you may want to consider changing jobs if possible. Any harm to you or baby may be irreversible...

4y ago

Well I find the ladder is not sturdy enough. That's why I told my manager that it's not safe for me to do the heavy stuffs. She said okay. But yet she sende orders of 28 ctns. How's that?

VIP Member

Well I did told her so many times but she take it lightly. Just earlier this morning I climb the ladder to check stocks as per her request. I felt that she has no sense of humanity

4y ago

Thanks Rae! I will look out for alternative job opportunities.

not advisable, pls take care. speak to someone of higher authority as this boss don’t seem understanding.

Dear please seek MOM for help when necessary . Please don’t risk your health and precious baby!

VIP Member

Inform your company HR...coz they know the company can be sued for work place hazard/harrassment...

VIP Member

Best to have a good talk with your boss or HR Manager, take care!