Is this discrimination against pregnant mom?

Currently going 7 weeks. Double uterus, high risk pregnancy. OBGYN appointment every 2 weeks. I have morning sickness and it would gt worse in the morning and at night. During the night i wont gt a proper rest due to the symptoms and it would effect me the next morning. I Have use up all of my medical leave and and most of my mc are NPL. im currently serving my final notice period with my current company. I work as an educator for children with special need. Mostly children with ASD, Speech delay and GDD. Workload has been hectic and physically demanding. The company had offered to shorten my notice period ( which i did not request). However, they insist me to pay them. They are also currently holding back my Aug salary and trying to convince me to use my aug salary to compensate for the final month. As of today, my salary is 17 days due. I rejected their offer as it does not benefit me in any way. I feel that i work hard and i deserve to gt my salary on time and in full. I have spoken to them regarding this matter and they told me that i should receive my salary in a few days time. In you are in this situation, what would u do?

8 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

I don't think it's discrimination as termination discussion and timelines is always a little messy. If you had not received your pay for the full days you work by the next payment cycle though I think you should highlight to MOM as it will be harder to follow up on when you had left the company. I think it is a pity you had to quit though, as you will be missing out on maternity benefits, and the company could have agreed to extend NPL for you to go for medical appointments. You may have been able to get paid HL from the doctor as well. If the termination was brought up by the company, this is cause for bringing up to MOM. Read your rights below: https://www.mom.gov.sg/employment-practices/leave/sick-leave/special-situations https://www.mom.gov.sg/employment-practices/leave/sick-leave/eligibility-and-entitlement

Read more

no wrong for employers or employees to request shorten the notice period for any reasons , however both parties must agree on how the compensation part which means u can discuss with Company to waive your notice period and get salary for what u have worked. if both parties cannot meet mutual agreement, do seek advice from Tafep

Read more

sounds like your employer just wants to recover extra money from you. if they offer for you to leave early and yet expect you to pay them a penalty they are actually just acting in their own interest.

You have done the right thing. I would have insisted on my pay as well - it’s important to provide enough time for a proper handover.

Supporting your decision. It’s your basic right as an employee!

If in doubt seek advice from MOM and or TAFEP.

if u r not sure pls seek advice from MOM

Raise this to MOM or TAFEP?