Raw oysters during pregnancy?

Hi mummies :< this might seem like a very small problem to my friends, family and even husband, maybe to some of you too.. but i have been craving raw oysters every single day for the past 2-3 months. i am currently 21 weeks and i have been crying/breaking down several times the past few days whenever i get hungry because the temptation to eat it is just so strong, might be hormones messing me up too but i have been very depressed honestly. are there any substitutes i can replace it with? similar texture/taste? ive never been a fan of cooked oysters, i would throw up whenever i eat them, even before pregnancy too. so i was wonder if there are substitutes or other foods i can replace raw oysters with.. please help mummies, i know its a small issue to just endure for another 5 months, but i am desperate

11 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

No I would avoid at all cost for baby. I have a family member who spam raw oysters during her pregnancy, gave birth to a son in a special spectrum, abit slow to develop and had to be enrolled in a special school. The boy is about 7 now and he still cannot walk properly. The whole family blame it on the oyster diet during the mother pregnancy. I’m not even sure if there are any scientific link to the oysters, but my mother kept reminding me that raw food is bad for baby development. So I think best to listen and avoid??

Read more
10mo ago

My parents are stressing me out over it.

same like you.. i had that cravings too and would cry so bad thinking about it. my mom told me to ahead and just have 2 or 3 oysters and that's it. i even had sushi too. but really just alil. and that was when i was in my third trimester.. just make sure th place that serve th oysters are clean. and th oysters are freshhhh! thats very important.. all th best mummy.

Read more

if you go ahead and indulge, would you be worried or stressed? i know people who drank alcohol and ate cheeses etc but they are not bothered by it. If yes, then try to abstain from it until you give birth for your own peace of mind. Maybe can try cooked dried oysters or fried oysters? I enjoyed these when I was pregnant.

Read more

I had cravings too but for my baby I feel a need to do a little sacrifice cause I worry more about the effects after I take raw food. I know it's not good but I always guilt trip myself and tell myself I don't want to regret. then I tell myself everytime that I will treat myself to what I want to eat after confinement.

Read more

I had cravings too but for my baby I feel a need to do a little sacrifice cause I worry more about the effects of I take raw food. I know it's not good but I always guilt trip myself and tell myself I don't want to regret. then I tell myself everytime that I will treat myself to what I want to eat after confinement.

Read more

Eat from trusted sources? The worry about raw food/oysters is food poisoning, so if you're confident of the food source, you can try having it to curb the strong urge. I don't really know what's a good substitute for it as different people have different sensations to food substitute.

after first trimester, I had oysters (and sashimi too) whenever my craving gets too strong and I feel depressed about it. so I would go reputable ones just to have that 2-3 pieces. gave birth on week 39, non complications, LO growing fine too. cannot overly indulge in them though.

I don’t think there’s any substitute for raw oysters unfortunately.. can’t think of any. Or how about steamed oysters with lemon maybe it’ll taste similar? Hang in there! My friend just had food poisoning eating raw oysters a few days ago :/ probably should just avoid!

you have been craving it daily because you didn't get it. just go ahead and get 1. at least your taste buds are satisfied then. myself, i went ahead with 1 or 2pcs the other day. no issues. gd luck!

Go ahead and hav 2-3 oysters. But but have it at a reputable restaurant. I had sashimi when I was preg bcos I was super craving for it. But only had a few pieces. My LO turn out fine, no issues.