Learning Dialect

Hi mummies would like to know your views on lo picking up dialect from grandparents etc. Do you think it's alright or a strict no no and why?

20 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

Personally I think it’s fine, it’s a added value to be able to understand or even speaks dialect. English, Mandarin and other languages can learn from school or enrichment classes. Anyway Hubby and myself are speaking dialect with each other, and our LO can understand. We converse with her mostly in English, sometimes Chinese. So she can understand English, Chinese and Dialect.

Read more
VIP Member

I find alright to let them learn dialect, best time of the age as they absorb fast. Im a pure teochew at my parents place i speak dialect i try to let them learn as they know and understand and can interract with their grandparents. Next time might be good use. Why not when we know how to speak our dialect. Im teaching them some basic malay too😄

Read more
VIP Member

I would definitely love to have my lo pick up dialect! Open up more means of communication! Haha! Best if lo can pick up at least 2 dialects! But if lo finds it difficult.. oh well, we figure it out again. Haha

I think it is good if the baby can learn various languages specially from family members. But try not to confuse them with lot of options. Just pick the ones which your child is also eager to leran

Super Mum

it's great to learn dialects. we made it a point that the grandparents speak to our LO in dialect. wont be confusing if each person speaks to them in a certain language and not a mix.

VIP Member

In our family we teach her 3 languages - mandarin, Bahasa and English. We chose not to confuse her with Cantonese, even though that’s the native language of her grandparents

Why not? It’s part of baby’s heritage. I didn’t pick up any dialect as a kid and I always found kids who can communicate w grandparents via dialect very heartwarming!

VIP Member

it should be alright cause anyway LO will be learning languages in school and spending more time there, so it's good to learn the native dialect and connect with family

i find it good as our dialects are one of the cultural aspect of our ethnicity uniqueness and i hope it doesnt die off in future...

great to learn new languages especially one that will help them communicate with a different generation!