Not gaining weight during pregnancy

Hi mummies. I've not gained any weight since my first trimester and am currently at 18 weeks. I am overweight but have low appetite and morning sickness until now. Baby seems to be growing well for gestation age according to the scans when I go for appointment. But I'm wondering will baby continue to grow well if I still don't gain weight? Any mummies out there in a similar situation? Any response will be much appreciated, thank you.

6 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

At 18 weeks I would say still okay if Dr told you baby is growing well.. I can feel you! As I went thru e stage when I can’t eat and I don’t gained weight.. Sometimes is very hard to say just like my case, i was 56kg before preg and I am those eat a lot type and won’t gained anything and even during pregnancy and till other ppl also can’t tell I’m actually pregnant and still bang onto me (maybe 4kg max at 2nd trimester?) Until 36 weeks then Dr told me time to watch out which when I have to eat more protein food.. Because my baby weight only 1.9kg but she is growing well.. At 39 weeks we both managed to make it and I weight 68kg and baby is ard 2.6kg.. Now, I am still 68kg (overweight - BMI says so 😭😆) but my baby is slim and tall 😅 (she became e old me) Just remember to take your prenatal vitamins, don’t miss it and take your meals regularly and drink more water rest more! These are more important to help baby to grow.. 😊

Read more
2y ago

Why would your gynae scold u if u don’t gain weight? Is good to maintain (don’t have to worry to slim down 🤭 which I thinking everyday now) if you and both are healthy! My gynae was very supportive and keep telling me I can eat anything I want.. Just watch closely your baby weight when u reach 3rd trimester.. As this is e period they shld grow very fast..

Hi I’m in my week 20 and I haven’t gain any weight too!! I’m overweight from the start as well. I’m worried too haha but gynae says baby is healthy and told me some people never gain any weight throughout and baby was delivered healthy so I hope that’s the same for me. But I do try to eat more protein and calcium, hope to gain some weight in coming weeks! 🤞

Read more

dun need to worry abt not gaining weight as long your baby is growing well. I am underweight before pregnant, gain 7.1kg during pregnancy (mostly from end 2nd trimesterand 3rd trimester). but still underweight. baby came out at 2.966kg.

2y ago

thank you 😊

don't worry, baby can absorb enough nutrition from your body to grow.. as long as baby growing well, it doesn't really matters whether gain or loss weight during pregnancy..

2y ago

Glad to know that! thank you

If baby is gaining and growing well then don’t have to stress over mummy’s weight :) I’ve gained 17 KG but my baby came out at 2.64kg 😅

2y ago

thank you for reassuring me!

TapFluencer

not to worry 🥰, most importantly is baby growing well my total weight gain for both pregnancy around 8kg, 2 babies born at 3kg.