just needed to rant

Hi mummies I'm a young, single parent that just gave birth to my first baby boy and is receiving tons of help from my family members which i'm grateful for. However I'm just so annoyed over the fact that I have to give in to my elders with their way of raising MY child??? i mean i get it, i need guidance and advice BUT for u to 'shape' my baby into someone u want? what is with all these "u have to study and get straight As/do this/do that" mindset??? EVEN me as his mummy i'm not expecting anything and its making me damn uncomfortable. when complained to my mom she said its normal for them to be FUSSY and NOSY. tbh i only get to spend time and bond with my baby only at night. & THATS WHEN I NEED TO SLEEP???? WHEN WE ALL NEED TO SLEEP?????? in the morning-evening she'd always want to be the one changing his diapers and feeding him and basically do everything with him. i'm THANKFUL but whos the mum here? + not only that, in the first week of motherhood i was still adjusting to his sleeping patterns and is obviously super tired in the morning, yet my family member can still say "wah the mummy sleep the whole day ah like no kid to take care of" wahhh siao ah the anger in me is building up so much But i have to be 'respectful, patient' with them. im so annoyed!!!!!!!!

8 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

My goodness, I can relate with you especially when you mentioned on your 2nd paragraph. I've received way too much help till i have lesser time with my baby. AND YES! I only get to spend time with my baby at night, which we all eventually will go to sleep?!! During the day, my baby will be in the living room till night. And everything will be done by my in laws giving me zero chance to learn! It took a toll on me, and i guess this part affected me so bad till i feel like i'm having postpartum depression. 😞 I totally totally understand you when you said "who's the mum here?" Exactly?! We get it that you guys wanna help us mothers who just gave birth, but know your limits lor?! That's my child leh, not yours. You're just the grandparents. And till when are we going to learn if you're going to do almost everything for us! So annoying. On a serious note, this really drove me crazy. Constantly feel so sad that i had lesser time with my baby :(

Read more
TapFluencer

It seems to me that the elders you're giving in to are your in laws. and this similar scenario happened to my family as well. I'll highly recommend to speak to your husband gently about it and let him deal with this situation in his own pace. (Don't stress him over it, not nice to be caught in between) or alternatively, speak to your in laws nicely or candidly over a meal. to let them know you appreciate their help and how you imagine parenting to be. you are right. it takes time and being respectful and patient is the key to maintain harmony in the family. 😊

Read more

No choice if you need their help and staying with them, must learn to in one ear and out the other on any senseless comment.. if not it eventually take a toll in you in future.. jia you..

I feel you :( hang in there mummy!!

I feel you. hang in there.

Hang in there!!!

VIP Member

Breathe!!!

Hugs!