average BM from pumping exclusively

I'm on 4th week postpartum, currently pumping every 2-3 hourly. total pump each time is about 100mls and baby is taking 80mls now. I'm worried it will soon be insufficient. not sure should I be worried and if 100mls for each pump session is considered low supply? each pump I try to pump 20 mins but I realised usually after the first 10 mins not much coming out. continued for another 10 mins as I heard this helps to stimulate and produce more. but have been doing so since a week ago but amount still the same. sometimes end of the day only able to get 70-80mls per pump. am aware there's no average as it varies for each person but how much do mummies get from each pump? TIA!

5 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

I read that supply peaks at 6 weeks, so there may be some more room for increase. Drink more water , and continue to pump regularly. I think I was pumping around 120ml at week 5. Now at 3 months, I get around 170-180ml every 3 hrs,but that's with drinking plenty of water. One full mug after each pump, and plenty in between too since I get thirsty often. Oh, and I'm using handsfree wearable pumps coz for some odd reason, my yield from the spectra s1 pump simply wasn't much. I went from 60ml on one side to 90ml when I switched to handsfree pump. I vaguely suspect that it might be coz I can't see how much I'm getting with the handsfree pumps, so I'm less stressed about the output and can actually produce more.

Read more

That's the amt I got at 4 weeks also, but as I continue, my amt increased to 120 per 3 hours currently at 3 months, but I will need to pump a little more than 20 mins - as I get my 2nd let down only around 15-20mins, so I continue until around 25 minutes. And looking at my little one, his total milk amount doesn't actually increase much from 4 weeks to now. although he drinks more per session, his length of time increased (from 2-3h to 2.5h-4h) and he can sleep for longer periods at night -> he sometimes can go 9 hours without a feed. So his total intake remained the same. For all 3 months! I heard this would continue until 6 months, so just keep your supply intact and you should have enough i think.

Read more

massage it and handexpress. i know how you feel. at least you are doing your best to give the best to your baby. i pump and hand express till less than a year and stop. my child is growing good despite little bm .

I usually change to the let down mode at 10 min when less milk is coming out. It was 50ml then 70-80ml then 100-120ml total then now about 160-190ml total now at 5 weeks.. shoukd slowly increase?

I was pumping from 600+ to 700+ for the first 3 wks. Suddenly my yield drop in wk 4 which i dunno why. Feeling pretty depressing when i pump… milk just doesnt seem to come out wif my s1

4mo ago

I saw on tiktok thay this lady wrapped the pump bottles so that she wouldn't keep looking at how much she's producing, and she managed to get more output since she's not stressed during pumping. Perhaps give it a try?