FTS or NIPT?

Hi all, I am first time mum and will be having my next gynae appointment next week at 11 weeks+. Gynae is asking me to decide whether to do First Trimester Screening (Nuchal Translucency ultrasound + blood test) or NIPT. FTS costs $100+ with 85% accuracy and NIPT costs $900 with 99% accuracy and also can tell gender. Just wondering if NIPT is worth taking? Any mummies actually do both?

9 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

FTS may have a 90% accuracy, but the way they do the test might affect its accuracy. eg: my baby was lying on his/her side during the scan so the measurement they took was just an "almost" measurement. not the best one. and true enough, I ended up with a 1:17 high risk. and got both of us in a frantic for a couple of days before we did NIPT for a peace of mind. (we can accept baby with DS but wanted a more definite answer, so that we can be prepared and also prep the ppl around us) there is no worth it or not. I guess it also depends on your age. I'm 35 so naturally at more risk for what nots so I took the test. if you are ok with any condition, then it's actually not very necessary for you to take any test. up to owns preference. but if you want some assurance, then NIPT is better, more accurate as it takes your blood and test for traces of your baby's DNA which might be present in your blood. it really depends on what you want to know and how much you can afford. our NIPT results came back to be low risk. which is as good as no traces of the down syndrome chromosome tracked in the blood. which was quite a relief. yes, so we ended up with a very detailed scan of baby's heart, brains, everything (FTS) as well as NIPT. I know some hospitals like TMC they offer NIPT with NT scan that is to check for babies brain/heart and physical growth, which isn't done in NIPT. hope this helps. :)

Read more
2y ago

Thanks so much for sharing :) In the end we decided to do both for greater assurance and peace of mind.

I wont use the phrase that is it worth doing anot. But is what you want to know. I did NIPT cos the accuracy is higher. Gender is one thing where at detailed scan will be able to find out. I have heard cases where their FTS failed and they do NIPT but is all right. But i need to warn first that there are cases where the NIPT results came out to be inconclusive (not enough fetal DNA in the mummies blood). And this happen to me. So i did 2 times of NIPT. At different institutions. After the incident, i kinda regret not doing both FTS and NIPT. FTS needs to be done in the first trimester which i aldy passed it when i knew about the results. And yes some mummies did both FTS and NIPT.

Read more
2y ago

U mean for the aminocentis, personally I don't feel so. It is just a sting like the normal injection. The syringe looks big thou but the needle itself is okay. If it is not high risk don't waste the $ and take the risk. :) As there is still a 0.3% or 3%(can't rem) that there will be miscarriage for the test.

TapFluencer

38 years old. First pregnancy. Fiancé and I decided to do both to cover all bases. There are some information that FTS captures and NIPT doesn’t, and vice versa. E.g. FTS captures heart defects, nuchal translucency, etc but lower accuracy. NIPT detects gender, chromosomal and other genetic defects. So being an older couple (and hence bearing a riskier pregnancy), we decided to know EVERYTHING so that we can make important decisions and get on with it. Everything turned out low risk, and we’re having a baby girl. That is peace of mind that we wanted, so it was ‘worth it’.

Read more

i did both. don't get overwhelmed by the results for the ftp though as its only 90% accurate. I'd personally go for both

39yrs ftm, doc suggest nipt so I only did tt. . ask ur gyne wat he/she recommend base on ur age . . also

TapFluencer

just do NIPT, its worth it to find assurance for the rest of the months of pregnancy.

I did NT scan and NIPT (Harmony) and Harmony costs $700.

Just do nipt

i did both! 😊