FTS vs NIPT at KKH

Hello all. I recently went for my 9 weeks plus check up at KKH and did the bloodwork for FTS. Was advised to take FTS first and if it's low risk then I don't have to take NIPT. Ultrasound for FTS will be around 3 weeks later at 12 weeks. For mummies who went through the similar process, will KKH inform you beforehand about the results of the bloodwork (both good and bad) before the ultrasound or will they only tell us on the day of ultrasound? I'm wondering if that will push NIPT till top late if its really needed. Thanks in advance!

4 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

For us they did not inform beforehand about the results of the blood work, as it needs to be taken as a whole together with the ultrasound. If I recall correctly, they generate the risk percentage on day of ultrasound, and if it is low they won't even let you see Dr, have to wait till your Dr's appointment then they will explain the results. Not sure how it goes if the risk turns out to be high, likely get to see the Dr on the day of the ultrasound. Don't think it will push NIPT till too late, since they have been running on this protocol (rec FTS then only NIPT if FTS turns out to be high risk)

Read more

did FTS as per KKH advice. got the result and its somewhat high risk.. so we moved on the NIPT.. waiting for the NIPT result now. what i unds is that fts is 200 ish.. if result not desirable nipt is 600 ish which adds up to 800ish (the same cost if u skip fts to do nipt)

You will get the result for FTS on the same day and if it’s high risk, dr will advise u to take NIPT. For this case, NIPT will be highly subsidised if u are only taking FTS first and if the result comes out high risk.

for me, if everything is ok (low risk), after the ultrasound won't need to consult the doc at all on the same day.. can just go back. just only review on your next appt with them.