Should i get a breast pump before or after baby is born?

Hi mummies, FTM here seeking for your advice. I am still considering whether to get a breast pump now or should i wait until baby is out? Reason being, i’m not sure if i have/have enough supply for BM, will i end up giving FM to baby? If yes, that will be a waste of $ to get a pump if i don’t really get to use it. Do you mummies get a breast pump before or after baby is born? Also, any tips to look out for a suitable breast pump? Thank you!

8 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

I got it before baby is out and I brought it to the hospital for the LC to teach me how to use as I’ve decided to EP instead of latch. It’s normal for your supply to be low for the first few days or even the first month, just don’t drop/drag pumps/latch sessions. It’s okay to mix feed while you build your supply. I only managed to transit to full EBM at 1.5mo. Using Babyexpress BeFree and it lasted me for 18months before the battery started going haywire. IMO, good to have so in case baby cannot latch well, you still have backup option instead of having to wait for a few days (for delivery). Find the pump that can clear your boobs well (I can’t explain this but you will be able to tell as you pump, your boobs will just feels way lighter and soft). Don’t forget your valve inserts!

Read more

Based on what I went through and think likewise, I'd say it's better to get a not too expensive pump that you are comfortable with. It was insanely hectic when I had to ask my husband or my mother to get me breast pump after baby was born and I was about to go home. (was due to me seeing milk coming out and the lactation consultant told me that I am good to breastfeed) Manual if you like and had the time to squeeze with your hands, electric if you prefer to let the pump do the job while you can steal a nap or do other things. Another thing to consider is the number of parts that you need to wash, availability of the spare parts for replacement, and the sterilization method. Hope this helps somehow

Read more

Hi, 1mo pp with 2nd baby here.. my personal advise is to get the hospital grade one before you give birth.. at least a 2nd hand spectra S1 via carousell. Your milk supply will kick in either earlier or later but when it comes, you may get engorgement/cracked nipples etc and pumping (with massage) may help when u are unable to direct latch.. if you plan to build a supply, you alr have a pump to start.

Read more

Don't think you need it now. You can always manually pump using hand express. Look to friends or relatives to see if they have any they have any to lend you, all u need to buy are the parts in that case. For me, I got a second hand pump at cheap. If I really don't need, I'll just sell it away later at cheap also. at least I have when I need and if I don't, I won't waste a lot of money.

Read more

I had the same thought as you do. I got a portable breast pump for one side before baby is born. I’m a low supply mom but then I decided to keep trying to provide so I got another breast pump at about 1 month pp. I’m using Be Nude by baby express. User friendly and pretty easy to clean. And they have a WhatsApp help chat too.

Read more

i bought babyexpress befree too before giving birth. turns out bb doesnt like to latch so I had to pump out. it was too tiring to have to keep pumping and washing the parts as me and hubby didnt have any external help so I stop bf after 1 month if you dont mind I can sell you my babyexpress be free half price 😅

Read more
9mo ago

😅

I have yet to deliver bt ive bought both manual and wearable electric pumps incase i need it. For manual i got medela harmony, for wearable i got 1 cheap one from shopee and another one is autumnz marvel pink

I would get before baby's born and I will get reasonable price brand like Philip Avent. I have been using this brand for both kids. I will direct latch and afterwhich pump after every feeding.