DIY Confinement

Any mummies her did not engage confinement nanny and DIY your confinement? Is it manageable if it is just you and your husband? I am more keen to DIY confinement myself by ordering confinement food delivery and herbs, etc with 2 considerations -I don’t like the idea of a stranger staying in my house and taking care of my baby and also, to save some money which is about $3500 now. But I have many “advices” saying that I will regret, I will be very tired, my relationship with the husband will be strained, etc...

17 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

It really depends on how much help you are able to get after you are discharged from the hospital, and if you are able to afford for a nanny. My confinement lady was stuck in Malaysia due to covid and last minute nanny are over my budget. So my mother offered to help me with my confinement. From this experience I had with my mom and hubby helping me and as a new mom, I must say external help and lots of rest is really important for your recovery and mental health. My hubby was only able to help me for 2 weeks of his paternity leave and the help from him was limited as I insisted to breastfeed my baby. It was during the nights I felt really exhausted and alone, as I was the only one waking up to do the night feeds. While my mom and hubby did the day shift. I felt very depressed during the confinement period and I lost weight very quickly. I only got some rest during the day when my mom is awake, with me ordering lunch confinement meals, and my mom helped to cook my confinement meals for dinner. My mom helped to bathe the baby during the day and top up with formula if she was still hungry. The rest I got during the day was very little and I couldn’t sleep well whenever I hear my baby cry during the day. I feel very bad and heart pain to see my mom and hubby feeling exhausted too. It is without a doubt that everyone in the house is going to be very tired because your baby is going to cry a lot for the first month as your LO needs time to get used to the people around her and the new environment. I would suggest, if you are able to afford for a nanny, go for it. At least she is able to help during the night shift and you get the rest you need during the night, so that you can recover faster and be well enough to take care of your LO. Jiayou 😉

Read more