Hi mummies and daddies, my 10wk LO has been spitting out milk sometime vomit (alternate days) since 6wk. She does cough at times and arch her back occasionally. Should I bring her to PD for diagnosis or this is normal and will go away with time? She's on full latch bf now.

3 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

Good job Mummy to be on breastfeeding. Breastfeeding cuts down lots of unnecessary problems that you may face. Spitting out milk could be because you haven't burp baby or baby is having a solid full feed. Coughing at times may be just being choked which I feel it's quite common as baby is till very very young and is learning to breathe properly. Arching of her back is also commonly seen by many babies nowadays. Fret not. However, if you are really concern and feeling otherwise, you may wish to bring her to the PD for a check to clear your doubts.

Read more

Did u burp baby after feeds? This is important to get rid of any air dat may enters the mouth during breastfeeding. Coughing may be cos her airways are slightly blocked. As she is still very young and she is still learnimg how to breathe properly. Arching her back could be to tell u something that she is uncomfortable with. My kids does this too. To me, these are quite common but please continue to monitor. Should you feel something amiss, please proceed to the PD or the nearest hospital for further assistance.

Read more

I am facing the same problem with my 6wk old. Brought her to the PD and doctor said that it’s quite common. Some babies just have more reflux than others. After each breastfeed, I hold her upright for almost an hr before putting her back down to her cot. I also placed towels under her cot mattress to incline it slightly to prevent further reflux, but have to be careful because she may slide down.

Read more