Baby fighting naps

Hi mummies, my 5mo baby always fight naps. She shows tired cues but when we want to pat her on bed or carry her to pat her, she will cry murder or push away. It takes awhile to calm her down before she falls asleep. Is this normal? How can I help her to go to sleep happily, without struggle? I feel like I’m not doing things right and causing my baby to cry so much 😢

5 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply
VIP Member

Eek! Sometimes the window from sleepy to overtired is really really narrow! Thats the part where babies lose their 🧠 and fights naps and shrieks so much. I just continue the usual rocking, latching, shushing in a cool and dim room with some quiet tune as white noise. If i have to hold the baby through the nap i do! Just to prevent another roll over over tired episode . Its gonna be tough until abit later on so jia you!

Read more

i am also facing this issue. my baby (3m +) suddenly not napping in the afternoon. (last time his wake period was 1.5h. now he can stay awake for 4-5 hours without napping) each time we try to make him sleep he would cry so badly till whole face turn red. any mummy have an idea what is going on? it gets quite helpless sometimes..

Read more

Mine not only fight naps. But also fight bedtime. What i do is when she show tired signs i will just rock and shussh and dont talk to her or smile even though she smile at you. And i will say it’s nap time or bedtime. It takes longer definitely but less than an hour she will sleep

My 4m also same. Sometimes even with swaddle and white noise, he’ll fight even more. Very tiring sometimes i feel like crying. I would also bounce and rock while holding baby and sushing. Sometimes also would walk around outside house corridor

Well you can have white noise, lullaby or let her be all tired then put her to bed. Alternatively, milk/latching. That helps them sleep well. My #2 do fight naps esp when she sleepy. Ill give her milk then pat her then make her sleep afterwards.