18 months transit to PG

Hi Mummies, my 18mo just transit to PG from IFC and has been crying whenever he attend school. I attended the first half day of PG with him and I saw how the teachers are stern with our children, probably that’s what make him scared too. His IFC teachers are really sweet and nice to him, and he probably gets the freedom and trust to play around with the younger ones in IFC, so now he’s in PG and feeling restricted. For experienced PG mummies: What’s your PG teacher to child ratio? Do teachers wash their dirty clothes before putting in the ziplock bag? I realised they don’t wash at all and just pack it in and it stinks the whole bag. Cos my boy still can’t feed himself perfectly and will mess up his clothes. Also, do they use wet wipes in school when they poop? Cos my son poop and they only spray his butt with the shower head without wiping and rubbing, when he’s back home and I clean him up, I realise poo stain are still there, he must be uncomfortable ): Are PG teachers usually more stern and strict as they are instilling discipline and instruction to the 2yo? #firsttimemom #pleasehelp

4 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

My boy's PG is abt 8 to 1 teacher. You can't expect teachers to really clean with detergent tt's not their job. From what I see, they probably use soap. but my son's teachers wld double pack with plastic bag. You may want to pack some extra plastic bags and ask if teacher cld do tt. For the poo I think you may want to feedback as it's hygiene and some kids may develop rashes if not cleaned properly. As for discipline, I feel it's better to be more stern. They are at the age when they start to communicate and able to read body and social cues. I even told my son's teachers, don't hesitate to scold him cz I do tt at home too. Unless of cz teachers if they go overboard till my kid keeps feeling scared to go to sch then, I wld feedback. But then again don't jump to conclusions and have a talk with the teachers first. I'm not a presch teacher but a pri sch teacher. Teaching older kids is alr a challenge what more at the lower level. My kid's teacher is like his 2nd mother cz he spends more time there than with me at home. I wld have an open communication with my boy's teacher and approach them tactfully if I have any issues with my boy's wellbeing in sch.

Read more

I was a PG teacher for the past 2 years. The ratio we followed ECDA’s guidelines which is 1:8 maximum. We will wash only if child has soiled his clothes and if the food stains are really bad. Plus, we don’t have proper cleaning agents so it’s just minimal wash. We wash with water & soap if child passes motion in school. I wouldn’t say we are usually stern & strict but you’re right about us instilling discipline & instructions in the toddlers. We want to develop their self-help skills, receptive language skills alot so therefore we may appear stern & strict :)

Read more

my 1st attended PG at 2 years old n 2nd attend playgroup at 19 months without IFC -ratio 2 teacher, 1 English 1 Chinese, 1 assistant teacher sharing with other classes; estimate 16 per class -no wet wipe, only tissue -use water to wash bottom, wipe with tissue -didn't wash the dirty cloth, I believe they rinse cause they came home wet. They will put into plastic before packing into bag you may want to highlight your queries to your child teacher to get better understanding

Read more
10mo ago

to add on, every teacher practice differently. My boy has been in this centre since 2021, and each class teacher requested differently. Some will ask parents to prepare a small towel to wipe dry, some will say no need to pack towel, they will use tissue I believe it's more to their own convenience.

Can I ask which PG? 😅 FTM here