Direct latch vs bottle fed

Hi moms! Im a FTM and I’m just wondering, which is commonly used? My friends around me just gave birth and most of them call it breastfeeding but they’re exclusively pumping and bottle feeding. I was pro breastfed- direct lacthing and intend to do till baby turns 1. But I feel like it’s uncommon? Why do people pump and bottle feee? Is it easier? Is it still “breastfeeding” when baby doesn’t actually get your breast?

8 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

There’s many reason why we do that. I’m an exclusively pumping mummy. 1) I don’t have to be the one feeding baby 24/7. When I’m tired someone else can bottle feed. When I’m working or not available, my baby will still be fed 2) motherhood is crazy. Ure tired all the time, and ure always needed. I barely have a second to myself. When I pump, that’s the only me time I get. 3) during the beginning, I did latch my baby. Maybe the first 2-3 weeks. I have this constant fear that he’s not drinking, cause I can’t see the amount of milk he’s taking. With a bottle, I can keep track better. Plus he had jaundice when he’s a few weeks old, so we always have to make sure he’s drinking enough. 4) it hurts my nips so bad, it bleed. After that, I refuse to latch my baby unless no choice Personally, I don’t think it’s easier, cause of all the logistics. We have to wash the pump parts, the bottles. Then bring bottles out if we bring baby out. But this is what is best for me Do what’s best for u and baby. Or what both of u are comfortable with. How baby gets fed, or how baby gets milk doesn’t matter. As long as they’re growing healthily

Read more