Direct latch vs bottle fed

Hi moms! Im a FTM and I’m just wondering, which is commonly used? My friends around me just gave birth and most of them call it breastfeeding but they’re exclusively pumping and bottle feeding. I was pro breastfed- direct lacthing and intend to do till baby turns 1. But I feel like it’s uncommon? Why do people pump and bottle feee? Is it easier? Is it still “breastfeeding” when baby doesn’t actually get your breast?

8 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

There’s many reason why we do that. I’m an exclusively pumping mummy. 1) I don’t have to be the one feeding baby 24/7. When I’m tired someone else can bottle feed. When I’m working or not available, my baby will still be fed 2) motherhood is crazy. Ure tired all the time, and ure always needed. I barely have a second to myself. When I pump, that’s the only me time I get. 3) during the beginning, I did latch my baby. Maybe the first 2-3 weeks. I have this constant fear that he’s not drinking, cause I can’t see the amount of milk he’s taking. With a bottle, I can keep track better. Plus he had jaundice when he’s a few weeks old, so we always have to make sure he’s drinking enough. 4) it hurts my nips so bad, it bleed. After that, I refuse to latch my baby unless no choice Personally, I don’t think it’s easier, cause of all the logistics. We have to wash the pump parts, the bottles. Then bring bottles out if we bring baby out. But this is what is best for me Do what’s best for u and baby. Or what both of u are comfortable with. How baby gets fed, or how baby gets milk doesn’t matter. As long as they’re growing healthily

Read more

pumping is still breastfeeding... please don’t discredit mummies who exclusively pump, it takes a lot of commitment, is extremely tiring, and logistically very troublesome. i struggled with latching my baby. in the beginning, it was very common for me to latch for 2 hours, and i still had to supplement with a bottle immediately after as my baby was still hungry as he was not latching well. after a while, i knew it was not sustainable as i had no time to do anything else other than latching and feeding. this was why i switched to exclusively pumping, it was so much more efficient for me and my baby and i had time to do other things around the house. i was also okay with baby drinking from the bottle as eventually i had to return to work anyway. do what works best for you and your family

Read more

I direct latch all the way except for the first 2 mths when I thought I was not making enough milk. Latching was easier for me because less hassle with bottles, rushing when baby is upset, being half awake preparing the bottle at night. just pop it out and done. I also don't get paranoid how many ml of milk baby drinks. with that said, it works for me as I am a SAHM. For those eventually going to work, pumping clearly works for them among other reasons. Every family has their own preference and system and that's OK. and yes, it is stilll breastfeeding even if it is not directly from the source. lol They just call it exclusively pumping.

Read more

I’m a first time mother. Now is 5 weeks old for my baby son. From the first few days after born him I try to latch but, he doesn’t like it and turn he head away. If I lucky only a few times successful latched when he in good mood. So after that onwards, I bump in the morning n night before sleep only. The rest formula milk. As my son under weight 2.4kg so he need more formula milk to gain weight. And now he growing happily just sometimes constipation due to formula milk. we have to use ru Yee oil massage him relieved the gas. Feed bottle still the best and no tired at all for me

Read more

I have a impatient baby and i wasnt really keen to stop latching. She injure my nipples vry badly too. Hubby said why dont we bottle feed instead so ya, i ended up doing that and couldnt get my ger back to latch. We knew we definitely nd to send her to ifc so i tink its not a bad idea to bottle feed as well since i dont really have enuf milk for her. Bottle feeding lets me know how much she is drinking also. I tink it can be really tiring to latch too since pumping is also making me very tired now 😅😅

Read more

direct latch seems pretty common among the pple I know, I so much wanted to direct latch and persisted to try latch my baby, but my impatient hungry baby unable to latch properly and din get enough breast milk, it was so bad till he got dehydration. so no choice, I had to pump and give baby bm by the bottle. it make me so sad for a long time bcoz I felt like a failure, for a long time I couldn't get over it and cry alot becoz of this, so I guess everyone had their own reasons for pump instead of latch.

Read more

one of the reason I pump n bottle feed is I want to know how much they drink I stop latching my 1st born on 3rd month because I wanna train him 🍼 to prep him for IFC 2nd born is 10months old now, I will latch her at night if she wakes up for milk (once a night or maybe not)

Hi