Paiseh to take HL

Hi mommies, I'm currently 32 weeks. I work in a very fast paced and stressful environment. I was thinking to take 2 weeks HL/AL before my edd 28th Feb 2022 to rest and have some own time. But I'm worried my manager and work partner won't be understanding. Should I just go ahead and not care about my work commitments or stay around till last day ? Please share with me your thoughts.

7 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

hi...i assume u & ur spouse r spore citizen & baby will b born in singapore.. from what i understand in MSF.gov & MOM.gov website, mother to be can take up to 28 days maternity leave before baby's EDD by 'default' ... alternatively can discuss wif ur employer if u want to start taking 2 weeks before EDD... taking ur mayernity leave means u dont hav to use ur AL even... n instead mayb u can use ur AL after the ML to spend more time wif ur baby..ive attached screenshot frm MOM.gov.sg website for.your reference.

Read more
Post reply image

It might be difficult to get HL from doctor's nowadays, but AL is your entitlement. I think it's good to discuss with your work partner to ensure he/she can help to cover. Honestly 2 more weeks on top of 4 months leave is not significant, I don't see an issue as long as your work has been handed over before you go on leave. On my end I think my colleagues will be trying to work as if I'm already on leave the last 2 weeks before I go on ML, and I'll just be helping to answer questions/do saikang.

Read more

Hi , from what i know from many of my friends normally they will ask the company if they are able to take their maternity leave first so as to be able to rest at home till their due date. Secondly is to see ur company is able to allow you to WFH if you job is able to allow that. Lastly , best is to speak to ur manager on this issue and see what he/she advise on it. :)

Read more

Don’t feel paiseh. It’s your entitlement. If you can take HL then use it. Else AL is fine. Your well being should be priority. If they are outright unsupportive please collate evidence. Always helpful in case you need to escalate and complain to TAFEP/MOM.

I think if u can take it then you work till the end. If not then u start handing over your things. and only those work that you can work or liaise from home then you still continue to help out. For me i also work until few days before i give birth.

Hello, I think most people would understand even though they may not be completely supportive due to workload.. I think it’s best to plan some rest before giving birth if that’s what you think you need. Good luck!

Read more

thanks for your advise Raven.. it is a bit awkward for me to raise this request to my manager.. she kept telling me how she n other colleagues worked till their last day.. its like subtle hint that I should do the same..

2y ago

my place is the opposite; they kept trying to advise me to take 2 weeks before my EDD because they feel I'll be very tired etc. I'll rather maximise my ML for spending time with the baby so I'd been pushing them off saying I'll follow doctor's advice closer to the date.