Pethidine For Normal Delivery

Hi mommas! I was wondering if those of you who opt for Pethidine for normal delivery, what are the side effects? And what do you feel throughout the labor process?

2 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply
Super Mum

The injection site will be painful for a short while Common side effects include drowsiness/giddiness/lightheadedness, but that is actually beneficial while you’re having the pain, so that you can hopefully either sleep through it, or be so out of it that you don’t feel the pain so much. Another side effect is nausea, but they can give you anti-nausea meds, so not to worry. One thing to note is that they can only give you pethidine once every 8 hours. So if pain is quite bad before the next dose, you’ll need to consider other forms of pain relief:)

Read more
4y ago

The gas.. it helps some. It makes you really giddy and high and distracts you from the pain for a bit. It requires the right technique, though. The moment you feel even a bit of the contraction, start taking long deep breaths with the mask, and remove the mask in between contractions. But I could still feel all the contractions and could feel the baby moving down the birth canal. I think at the best, the pain score was still 6/10. And I was already using the gas correctly. During the pushing, I just pushed while holding the mask to my face all the way. Lol. It was fast though, thankfully. 2nd child. Pushing took about 10-15min for baby to be fully out.

Dun thk there is side effect? If yes also temporary